Simplefit.org • View topic - AWK's log

AWK's log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

AWK's log

Postby AWK » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:21 pm

Hello,

My name's Andrew. I'm 26 years old, 5'11" and around 211 pounds. I'm looking to get back down to around 185-190, since I'm kind of embarassed at how bad my diet's gotten (huge portions and way too many sweets) and how inactive I've become over the last year or so. I really like the goal of this website, as (for the moment at least) going to the gym is a huge disincentive for a number of reasons.

I just started today, but am not sure of a few things:

-Should I stretch at any point? Before? After?

-I just started L2D1, but am thinking of going back to L1 since I a) just flat-out can't do a pull-up, and b) only was able to do 13 rounds. Substituted 3 body weight rows with a towel in place of each pull-up, but it seems like cheating, so I'd like to get to the point where I can do one real pull-up before moving beyond L2 anyway. Also, in case it matters, push-ups were the stopping point for me, the reason I had to rest for a few minutes. Squats were ok (though my legs felt a bit rubbery).

Any advice is helpful.

Thanks!

-AWK

p.s. VBM, your log is a real inspiration.
AWK

Postby Ruli » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi andrew and welcome to SF. I trust you'll enjoy the program and soon see the benefits for yourself!

As for your questions:

- yes, it is always aviseable to warm-up/stretch before you commence a workout. It will allow the mucles to get “loose”, warm and ready for what is about to follow. A suggestion of what to do is given in the “how to get started” section of this site:
Warm up by going through the exercises at a super slow, easy pace, working on form for several minutes.

some people do advocate cooling down after a workout, but i'm not a great fan - suppose it's personal taste.

as for your second question, here is some advice i gave to someone some time ago:
unfortunately i cannot answer you on your body row/sub question, as i have never done them. one thing that you can consider though is doing chin-ups (if you're not doing them already, in which case my advice will not help.) 

a chin-up is when you grab the bar with you palms facing towards your body. 
a pull-up is when you grab the bar with your palms facing away from your body. 

if you are doing pull-ups as described above, try chin-ups - it's way easier and you mind find that you'll actually be able to do it. 

judging by the number of rounds you did on L2D1 i would also suggest you go go back to L1.

good luck!!!
Ruli

Re: AWK's log

Postby AWK » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:37 am

Did this once, and didn't come back to it. Getting back on the horse.

Starting weight (before L1D1): 216 lbs

L1D1: 17 rounds (I think - lost count once, so may be off by a round. I'll be more careful next time, and will say the number I'm on before I do a chin-up/pull-up, push-up, and squat)

I couldn't do pull-ups or chin-ups. My substitute was to jump to get started for my one chin-up and do my best for about two seconds to pull myself up or hold myself.
AWK

Postby AWK » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:39 pm

L1D2: 4 rounds.

1 Pull-up substitute = trying to do a chin-up by hanging on and pulling for dear life for a couple of seconds.
AWK

Postby AWK » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:57 am

Ahar! I just noticed that I misread "L2" - was doing as many sets as possible in five minutes (which turned out to be four). Next time around I'll make sure to do five rounds for time.
AWK

Postby AWK » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:21 pm

L1D3: 4:00 minutes.
1 Pull-up substitute = trying to do a chin-up by hanging on and pulling for dear life for a couple of seconds.

My right arm is hurting right now. It feels very sore specifically on the underside of the bicep near the elbow (as best I can describe). Is this normal?
AWK

Postby cheapo » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:14 am

Hi AWK,
When I started SimpleFit I was pretty much where you are (we're the same height and I was at about 220 lbs).

Read my log or check my progress photos to see what SF can do!

Be patient. Put in the time. Adjust your diet slowly so you hardly notice the changes and the new way of eating will become a habit that is easy to maintain.
cheapo

Postby Ruli » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:04 am

at this point in time the "eating correctly" is my nemesis!!!

but as you say cheapo:
Adjust your diet slowly so you hardly notice the changes and the new way of eating will become a habit that is easy to maintain.
Ruli

Postby AWK » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:19 am

I tried doing a single pull-up last night, and my right elbow/bicep/arm was hurting pretty bad for hours afterward which makes me thin, which makes me think I tweaked something. Going to try to get it checked out today. Bah.

And thank you for your advice. The diet will be the biggest challenge for me, no doubt, so I'll try to take it slow. I'm used to eating a lot of junk (not just carbs at the wrong time of day - I'm talking about more tradition junk food).
AWK

Postby AWK » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:29 pm

Finally saw a doctor. Apparently, I pinched an "ulnar nerve" in my right elbow. No push ups or pull ups for 4-5 weeks. Blah.
AWK

Postby Ruli » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:59 pm

:(
Ruli

Return to workouts