Simplefit.org • View topic - really confusing.

really confusing.

body weight exercise community

Moderator: cheapo

really confusing.

Postby googleccd » Tue May 18, 2010 11:03 am

i hear alot of people say that if i can do 10 push-ups on a raw easly then i should start doing weighted pushups, so it won't be aerobic exercises (that reduce slim muscels) which i don't want.

*my goal is to gain muscle, bu;k up, and gain weight, not just slim muscle.
so should i keep on doing this site's workout routine or should i add weight to my exercises?

thanks
googleccd

Postby volleyball_man » Wed May 19, 2010 4:33 am

Focus on getting better at functional fitness and your body will become the shape and size it is genetically predisposed to be. The aesthetics of your body will be pleasing in this condition.
volleyball_man

Postby cheapo » Wed May 19, 2010 10:04 am

^I approve of this message and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

As far as aesthetics go, I have NEVER cared about bulk.
(On the other hand, I do care about muscle tone.)

But strength, flexibility, proprioception, and agility are what really matter.
cheapo

Postby googleccd » Wed May 19, 2010 12:18 pm

volleyball_man wrote:Focus on getting better at functional fitness and your body will become the shape and size it is genetically predisposed to be. The aesthetics of your body will be pleasing in this condition.

thanks, but that didn't actually answer my question
googleccd

re: concerning your goal

Postby smooth » Wed May 19, 2010 12:34 pm

thanks, but that didn't actually answer my question

I would do Simplefit and see where it takes you. If you don't get the results you are looking for after reaching L8, then you can always reevaluate.
smooth

Postby cheapo » Wed May 19, 2010 3:16 pm

googleccd wrote:thanks, but that didn't actually answer my question

Do you want to get big or do you want to get strong?

SimpleFit will make you strong, and you will get as big as your body requires to be that strong. Why would you want to get any bigger?
cheapo

Postby googleccd » Thu May 20, 2010 10:09 am

cheapo wrote:
googleccd wrote:thanks, but that didn't actually answer my question

Do you want to get big or do you want to get strong?

SimpleFit will make you strong, and you will get as big as your body requires to be that strong. Why would you want to get any bigger?

well why not both?, getting stronger while i am looking the same (skinny guy) is not really satisfying, also getting bigger and bulk up is one of my main goals.
googleccd

Postby cheapo » Thu May 20, 2010 10:23 am

Sure, go after both, but consider these scenarios:
  1. Scenario 1:
    You follow SimpleFit and lift some weights to the point where you can deadlift 400lbs (max.), but your biceps measure only 12".
  2. Scenario 2:
    You take a bunch of supplements, and follow some other routine, etc. to the point where you can still 400lbs (max.) but now you have 17" biceps.

Scenario 2 may be more appealing, but if you've got the same strength in a bigger package, I'd say your strength is watered down.

In Scenario 1, your muscles are hard.
In Scenario 2, they're soft.

I am not saying you shouldn't chase an impressive physique, I am just saying you should let strength-building lead the way.
cheapo

Postby scumdogg » Thu May 20, 2010 5:10 pm

I agree with cheapo in that you need to decide what your fitness priorities are and gear your training towards achieving those goals. If you want to get stronger, increase your cardiovascular endurance, while also keeping your physique sleek, then simplefit will fit the bill. If you want to get strong and build muscle mass, you'll have to lift weights. I don't want to start an argument over which is better because both methods will produce different results.

Personally, I never felt as strong doing simplefit as I did when I lifted heavy. Conversely, my cardio was never as good as when I was doing simplefit (also, thanks to simplefit I'll never sit at a lat pulldown machine again).

In the end, I think you need to decide what your goals are, research ways to achieve those goals, and then stick with it for an appreciable amount of time. There's no reason you should have to stick to the same routine forever. Lots of people have used simplefit as a springboard into other routines.

If you want to go the weightlifting route, try http://stronglifts.com/ . They focus on the the core lifts like squat, deadlift and overhead press, and also include some bodyweight stuff like pushups and pullups. This is the routine I followed after simplefit. However, when I take some time off from that routine I always come back to simplefit.
scumdogg

Postby volleyball_man » Sat May 22, 2010 5:41 am

As a trainer I can tell you that I see guys who weigh 160 look WAY more impressive (read "look bigger") than guys who way 200 on the same frame.

Go look at my before/after pics on my progress thread.
volleyball_man

Re: really confusing.

Postby ButtSmack » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:26 am

Weird comments on this thread.

Calisthenics can produce bigger muscles and there was a time not that long ago when you weren't encouraged to do weights until you had a foundation in calisthenics.

Weighted push-ups are one option. another is to change the movements to more difficult movements.

If you can do ten reps of an exercise, build muscle and strength with charles staley's EDT. If you can do twenty reps, build muscle with German Volume Training.

And your worries about building slim muscle is ridiculous. It either gets bigger or smaller, it doesn't change shape. You'd have to really commit yourself to bodybuilding to build too much muscle.
ButtSmack

Return to fitness community