Simplefit.org • View topic - Adding more rounds to D2 a benefit??

Adding more rounds to D2 a benefit??

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Adding more rounds to D2 a benefit??

Postby visionteacher » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:56 pm

Mike and I were discussing adding more rounds to Day 2, like 8 instead of 5 perhaps. We didn't feel to "worked" on Wednesday, but today, day 3, kicked our butts. Do you think we'd notice an appreciable difference if we added more rounds to Wednesday, or just stick to the program?
visionteacher

Postby scumdogg » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:14 pm

D2 is a "strength" day so my thoughts are that adding more sets skews the focus towards endurance rather than strength. The first thing to ask yourself is are you taking too long a rest time between sets? Maybe shorten is up a bit. Second, and I know it goes against the simple in "simplefit", but maybe add some resistance to the D2 exercises? I've always wanted to try resistance bands but haven't been able to justify the cost to my wife. If you can swing those, you could use them in squats and pushups, and hug a weight to your chest for the squats (different sized patio stones or something similar make a good cheap substitute for barbell plates). If you can't get the exercise bands then you can rig up something to hang around your waist for the chinups.
scumdogg

Postby visionteacher » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:03 pm

We're taking the 3 minute rest listed on the instructions... reducing the rest would also lean more toward endurance too, right?
visionteacher

Postby scumdogg » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:31 am

Endurance is a measure of your ability to exert yourself over a long period of time, so while decreasing the rest times will make it harder, it won't turn D2 into an endurance exercise. If you're progressing through levels at a decent pace, then I'd just stick with D2 as written because at higher levels it will get harder. If you're stuck on a level for a long time then I don't see a problem with leveling up just the D2 to help you move ahead.
scumdogg

Postby cheapo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:49 am

To help me get through L7, I was thinking of rejigging D2, because, while I find it challenging, I think I need it to be even more of a challenge if I am going to get into the condition required to beat D3.

D2L7 is normally 5 sets of 8/24/40

I was thinking of making it
2 sets of 16/48/80 and one set of 8/24/40
cheapo

Postby visionteacher » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:20 pm

I'm sure it won't hurt anything. That's kind of what I'm thinking about tweaking D2 a bit. It doesn't work me near as hard as D1 or D3, seems a little out of balance. I know it'll all come in time, but a little faster won't hurt anything :-)

How did admin design the protocol? Is that written somewhere, I assume by lots of trial and error, but there's obviously some planning behind it all too.
visionteacher

Return to fitness training