• View topic - Temporary pull up replacement

Temporary pull up replacement

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Temporary pull up replacement

Postby VikingBeard » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:31 am

Hi all,

First post, tomorrow is going to be my first day at L1D1. Some background on me. Have been overweight since age 8, now age 32. Was mostly chubby until my early 20's when I became obese. I'm still very athletic and able to do more than anyone I know at my size. I'm 6'6", 420lbs. At one point I was over 470lbs. I lost 50 lbs just from improving my diet. I wear my weight well, have a lot of muscle, large skeleton, etc. My shoe is a 16EE, hat size 8, without the fat my chest will still be about a 54 or 56. I'm just built big. My ideal weight for my frame is going to be 275-300lbs.

Over a year ago I started doing simple exercises at home just to maintain strength. Push ups, hand grip exercises, crunches, light yoga. Eventually I wanted more so I started working out a gym. On my way to work one day I was rear ended and in a not so great car wreck which has kept me out of the gym since May of 2010. I am just now at the point where I can start moving around again like I used to. My back is permanently injured but not to the point where it affects mobility. Mostly nagging pain.

I'm back. I'm ready to get going again and get this weight off and get healthy. There's so much I want to do!

So... Pull ups. No way can I do a pull up right now. I am 420 lbs. In my life I have never done a pull up. Always too heavy and out of shape. I want to do one. That is my first goal. But I can't jump right in and do one. I have a lot of weight to pull up. What can I do, at home, to get the same muscles going that a pull up would get going? I am aware I can not replace the efficacy of a pull up. I just want something that will help me along till I can do pull ups and get the greater benefit that can be obtained by a pull up.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to being a part of this community.

Re: Temporary pull up replacement

Postby cheapo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:58 am

If you can make this program work for you, I would think yours would be one helluva physique.
Here is the official list of pull-up substitutions.

Remember: 3 subs = 1 regular pull-up

This guy has a decent "get to your first pull-up" video.

Make sure your pull-up bar is heavy duty and securely fastened. (Early on, I hurt myself when my homemade pull-up bar gave way. You're a big guy—you would come down harder than me!)

Re: Temporary pull up replacement

Postby VikingBeard » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:19 pm

Excellent! That is just what I was looking for.

I've been blessed with some excellent genes. My body reacts to diet shift and training really quickly. I gain muscle and endurance super fast. Having not worked out in 5 years, by my third time in the gym, I was at 425 lbs and keeping up with everyone else on the elliptical. Went for 25 minutes no problem. I was amazed at how fast I got in the swing of things.

I'm rambling. But yes! Again! Thank you.

Return to fitness training