• View topic - New to Simplefit, questions...

New to Simplefit, questions...

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

New to Simplefit, questions...

Postby metex » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:23 am

Hi everyone! I found this great site through another forum while looking for bodyweight workouts. I've been weight-lifting for about 10 years (I'm 26 now). Started because of sports and kept at it ever since. Over the past couple of years, due to various circumstances, I've had to find ways to workout on a budget. In other words, expensive monthly gym fees aren't for me. I've really started looking into bodyweight training, and I've also gotten in to kettlebells. With weights, I was always stronger than others for my size (5' 7" 180 lbs), but bodyweight movements are proving to be more difficult than I thought. Anyway, I'm anxious to get started so forgive me if I ask something that's already been answered.

1. First off, my pullups are not up to par with my pushups, and my squats are far ahead of both. Just looking at the rep ranges, a Level that is really challenging on pullups and pushups, might not be challenging enough for squats. Any suggestions?

2. Speaking of squats, are we meant to perform slow bodyweight squats or explosive "air squats" (like the kind they use at Crossfit)? I'm thinking the fast, explosive variation would keep my numbers lower and that may help with my first question.

3. Subbing for pullups... Do I always perform 3 reps to 1 no matter which sub I use? So if I'm using chair assisted pullups and the workout calls for 5 regular pullups, I do 15 reps of my sub? When using static holds as a sub, do you hold for as long as you can, then relax and do 2 more holds?

4. Regarding the Days... on Day 1, do I just keep going one exercise after the other nonstop resting as needed, or should I pause between exercises or rounds?
On Day 2, if I understand correctly, I am to perform all reps of all 3 exercises before stopping to rest. But does the 3 minute rule only mean "no more than 3 minutes" say if i felt ready to go after only 2 minutes?

5. Lastly, Day 3, are all reps meant to be done in straight sets, or do you do a few reps of each exercise repeating the circuit until you hit your total reps no matter how many rounds it takes? I understand the time to move up a level is when you can beat day 3 in less than 5 minutes. But are there any indicators for the other 2 days other than the "longer than 30 minutes or less than 5 minutes" rule?

As I said above, I've also started using kettlebells. Does anyone here incorporate kettlebell work into their week? I was thinking of doing simplefit Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and doing some k'bell drills Tuesday and Saturday.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any help and suggestions!

Re: New to Simplefit, questions...

Postby Elysium » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:50 am

I'm only just starting this program so my answers might not be right either...

1,2 & 3 I'll leave for others - I have questions about the speed of the exercise myself.

4. My understanding is on Day 1 you repeat the circuit non-stop (rest only if needed) so: Pullup, Pushup, Squat, Pullup, Pushup, Squat etc
Day 2 I think you have right. (Pullup, Pushup, Squat, Rest) x 5. I would guess "no more than 3 minutes" is OK. I think I read on another forum that at the lower levels 3 minutes was too long for most people but once you've moved up a level or two you'll need the 3 minutes.

5. Straight Sets broken up as needed. Do all the pullups, then all the pushups, then all the squats. E.g. Lvl 1 Day 3 is 10 pullups, 21 pushups, 21 squats.
So you might do:
4, 3, 2, 1 Pullups followed by 11, 10 Pushups followed by 21 squats

I'm doing kettlebell swings about twice a week (on days I'm not doing SimpleFit).

Re: New to Simplefit, questions...

Postby Ruli » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:05 pm

hi metex and welcome to SF! trust you will enjoy theprogram and see the benefits just like the rest of us.

as for your questions, herewith my 5 cents worth:

my pullups are not up to par with my pushups, and my squats are far ahead of both

Trust me, you are not alone in this department! I think this a "problem" that most of us experience. Having said that though, squats do get a bit more taxing the higher you go up the lvl's. But to answer your question, according to me, there is really no suggestions. Given the size of your leg muscles compared to the others you use in the program, you'll find that squats will always be "easier" than the pull- / push-ups.

2. This is a personal preference and will vary from person to person.
Maybe you can do the "explosive" type on say D1 & D3 (seeing that time is of he essence) and do slow squats on D2, concentrating on form.

3. I never had to use subs, but my understanding of the program is yes, always perform 3 reps to 1 no matter which sub you use.

Elysium has pretty much answered 4 and 5 the way I would have. The only requirement to lvl up is a sub 5 min on D3. As you work the program, you might find that doing say 25 rounds on D1 and a sub 4:30 on D2, your chances of breaking 5 mins on D3 are pretty good, but nothing is guaranteed - you still need to break 5 mins on D3, irrespective of your performances on D1 & 2.

Return to fitness training