Simplefit.org • View topic - New with questions.

New with questions.

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

New with questions.

Postby havocblaid » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:04 am

Okay I found this program through a google search for putting on weight. I'm a 6'1 male that weighs on average 127 lbs. I have 5 kids and work from home so going to a gym or anything like that is not exactly a viable option for me. I've read through quite a few posts and found answers to most of my questions. But one still lingers. I'm curious if this program will work for gaining weight because I sure don't need to lose anymore. I'm getting ready to massively overhaul my diet and am looking for something that will help me with my weight.
havocblaid

Re: New with questions.

Postby Bri3626 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:13 pm

Kind of a tough question. I'd first ask what your purpose is? Why exactly do you want to "gain weight"? Is it a vanity thing, health condition, etc? An honest look into that question can help. In most cases (assuming there are no health concerns) I tell my patients as a physician assistant to try to move away from that idea and train your thinking to be "I want to be as fit as I possibly can". Whole body fitness "to me" is more a priority than losing or gaining weight. Naturally as you become fit your weight tends to fluctuate on way or another.

In your case you are most likely an ectomorph or "genetically skinny". You can't really change that and without doing some major training short of drug use your not too likely to "pack on pounds" :cry: no matter what you do. Having said that I'm talking in general here on a forum and it would be hard to evaluate you as an individual and be certain of that. Simplefit is an excellent program to start you on the path to lifetime fitness and you will definitely get stronger and have more stamina. Look at Cheapo and Vollyballman's logs. They are great examples of what this program can do for you. V has moved on to Crossfit and improved his fitness even further.

I have seen some guys in my career start fitness programs and literally gain up to 50 lbs. but I think thats a rare thing and sometimes I wonder if any of them used enhancements. Just not sure on that one.

Many folks will tell you to lift heavy and lift hard to reach your goal. If you choose to go that route I would suggest googling Mark Ripptoe as I think he is probably one of the top 5 experts in that field. I read one of his books and am going to start his program in the winter and see how it goes.

Either way, simplefit is a good start. And remember, either way it won't happen overnight. Read my quote below heh. Good luck!
Bri3626

Postby havocblaid » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:20 am

My main goal is to get healthy. I have 5 kids and I'd hate to miss anything because I've been a computer nerd my whole life. I also know that for my height I am greatly underweight and would like to remedy that situation as well. I know there is no way that I will pack on the pounds. I was in athletics in high school and in the army for a while and still didn't really gain much. But I'm looking for something that would be a good fit. I mean I have literally spent the last 4 years sitting at my comp. I work from home so I haven't had any need to really be active. But I'm wanting to turn that around for myself and my kids. They are getting to the ages where they are going to want to go out and do stuff and I want to be able to go out and be there for that. I was also curious as to what kinds of foods and stuff might be good for this kind of thing. I tried going to our local fitness food type place and all they wanted to do was sell me things that just seemed outrageous. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
havocblaid

Postby Bri3626 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:50 am

I suscribe to the idea that if a caveman wouldn't eat it then dont eat it. Everything is fair game. Meats, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and a little bit of fruit. Thats the crossfit prescription. Mark ripptoe will tell you to drink milk and drink lots of it. Up to a gallon a day if your trying to make strength gains. Personally I committed to eating 5 ounces of meat, and two vegetables every meal. I do a small handfull of nuts and a piece of fruit inbetween. I've been doing that since November of last year. When I started could barely do a pullup or much of anything else after an injury. My fitness levels are jumping considerably since then. I can do 10 pullups very comfortably now and although haven't maxed am sure I could do 15. Pushups and squats have also gone up by leaps and bounds.

Not as important for me really but was about 208 lbs when I began and weighed in at 178 today. My wife says my arms are much bigger. Again not as important but you get the idea.
Bri3626

Postby havocblaid » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:06 am

With 5 kids keeping to a diet of any kind is difficult around here. But I'll give it a go.
havocblaid

Postby Elysium » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:56 pm

Mark Sisson's "Primal Blueprint" is the best starting place I think. His website is http://www.marksdailyapple.com.
Lots of info there to read if you don't want to commit to buying his book straight up.
Elysium

Postby havocblaid » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:49 am

There is some interesting information there. I'll look over it more later when I'm not supposed to be working. But wanted to thank you for the link.
havocblaid

Return to fitness training