Simplefit.org • View topic - Brandon's Log

Brandon's Log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Brandon's Log

Postby Brandon » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:05 am

L1D1: 40 Rounds.

Just to document, I'm 5'8", somewhere between 130 and 140 lbs, and looking to put on some mass and actually get a great level of GPP. I'm wiry, and I'm strong for my weight, but sometimes absolute strength counts, and I want to do something about that. Crossfit scares my skinny little self (Ive been lurking since 02 or 03 and never consistently started), and SimpleFit actually seems like a reasonable ramp up to the level of work I'd like to be doing. Hooray for _actually doing something_.

With the first day down and I'm much less sore than I thought I would be. Yesterday I set my kitchen timer for 20 minutes, and went at Level 1 Day 1. After about 15 rounds, I was gassing with a good 12 minutes left. I have to admit, I sissied out a good bit between 15 minutes left and 5 minutes left, but I found a big ball of "I don't care if I pass out, I'm hitting 40!" at 5 minutes, and pounded out the last few to get there with 30 seconds left.

My heart was racing for a good 20 minutes afterwards, but I think that will go away within a week or to. My biggest complaint is actually how my hands feel from doing pullups on an I-beam.

I think my pullup numbers are going to go down once I get into multiple reps/set. Im pretty sure I'm assisting the initial part of the pull with a bit of a jump. I do still have a good kip from kung-fu, though, so they may not be all that traumatic.

Anyway, for now my goal is to just maximize work.
Brandon

Postby Admin » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:56 am

If you can get some rings
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Brandon » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:46 pm

L1D2: 4:43.

Ouch is all I can say. The pullups weren't even that bad. Surprisingly, it was my triceps that were giving out on me. That said, I was doing full depth pushups on the paralettes. I'm guessing that I don't have sufficient strength through full ROM. Hopefully, though, I can get this up to speed by the time Im getting to some of the more horrendous levels.

re: rings, I'd love to get 'em but don't have anywhere to put them! Even in my basement, I barely have any head clearance doing I-beam pullups. Eventually, I'd like to get the missus to let me convert the garage into a gym. At that point, Id like to hang the rings just outside the garage. Until then, though, no rings for me!
Brandon

Postby Brandon » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:30 am

Quick note: the activity from yesterday's workout seems to have significantly reduced my soreness. Hooray for that!
Brandon

Postby Brandon » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:47 pm

L2D1: 31 rounds.

I swapped full depth pushups on the paralettes for floor pushups, and WOW did that make a difference. pushups were very ugly towards the end. This workout definitely ended up being push-limited, rather than pull- and heart-exploding-out-of-chest-limited as last week was.

That said, I'm very pleased that pullups werent too difficult today. In fact, the first 10 pulled VERY easy. To the point that I was bumping my head on the ceiling with a full pull (elbows behind the midline).

Also did a much better job of pacing this time around. Didnt start gassing until somewhere around 11 minutes, which is 5 minutes later than I started gassing last week.

I'm very curious to see how level 1 will play out when I revisit it in week 4. Im anticipating moving up to L3 next week, and am planning to run the rest weeks as divide current level by 2 and round down.
Brandon

Postby Brandon » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:05 pm

L2D2: 5 mins even.

Left forearm is getting very tight from the I-beam pullups. Sets of 3 were rather difficult (had to split all but the first into 2+1). Full depth pushups went much nicer, but still the limiting factor. Squat form is much better -- getting a lot of hip drive.
Brandon

Postby Brandon » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:12 am

L3D1: 25 rounds

Need to plan to workout earlier on Fridays since I keep missing D3. Forearms were sore again, though not nearly as bad. Heart rate ran very high, but I blame that on the sinus infection Im sporting. Full range pushups are feeling much better.
Brandon

Return to workouts