• View topic - Hello everybody - some newbie questions

Hello everybody - some newbie questions

body weight exercise community

Moderator: cheapo

Hello everybody - some newbie questions

Postby SB87 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:21 pm

Hello everybody,

I am a german man of 24 years (so sorry, if my english is sometimes a bit unclear or wrong :wink:), who just stumbled over this page. I have to say great page/forum, great motivation, great workout programm :D So, I am not a completely newbie in the sports. I enjoy all kinds of sports, such as cycling, running, BWE stuff (pullups, squats, pushups, burpees ...), swimming, DVR etc. etc. But now I decided to give SF a real try, because of it's radical simplicity. Anyway, some newbie questions remain and it would be great, if you could help me on them:

I understood, that you should decrease your level, if the whole workout (days 1,2 or 3) takes more than 30 minutes. I also understood, that you should increase your level, when you can do day 3 in under 5 minutes. No offense intended, but that seems like impossible to me, especially on the elite levels.

What about variations ? There are so many variations for the three core exercises. Think just of:

- Prison Squats, Hindu Squats, ...
- Standard Mililtary Pushups, Atlas Pushups, Hindu Pushups ...
- Wide Grip Pullups, Towel Pullups, Overhand/Underhand etc.

Is it ok, to vary the exercises from time to time to hit the muscles from multiple angels ? How should one incorporate the variation in the programm ? I have to say, that I'll most likely do the pushups on some bars or Atlas-Style; I feel they are better for my shoulders/posture that way (I have a slight rounded back).

Maybe I'll incorporate some light work (stretching, posture exercises etc.) or even some sprints/core work on the free days. Do you think, thats ok ? Are there some muscle groups, which aren't worked with SF. I am thinking especially of spinal erector, leg bicep, core, calves and maybe the rear deltoids (although they play a part in the pullups) ?

What results could one expect from this program ? Granted, I've seen some progress posts and photos, but I am more or less a skinny guy, although I think, that I could be a "covert meso" anyway ... I haven't figured that out yet :wink:

I think, I'll start tomorrow with L1D1, of course with proper form and full ROM.

Stay tuned and thanks for all your replies.

Re: Hello everybody - some newbie questions

Postby Bri3626 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:25 pm

Hi and welcome to Simplefit.

#1 I agree its gonna be tough at the upper levels to hit under five minutes for the advanced exercises. But what a challenge eh? In Crossfit Level 8 day 1 or L8D1 is called "Cindy". For beginners they recommend that you be able to do it comfortably over 15 rounds in 20 minutes. I would say if you can get to that level you can crank it out pretty good. First things first though. Start at the beginning and move up as you need to. Its a great way to start lifelong fitness.

#2 Simplefit is designed to be a simple program and develop everyone with the mindset to do a regular fitness program. There are ten elements to fitness via the Crossfit website:
a. cardiovascular/respiratory endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility, power, coordination, agility, balance, and accuracy.
If you look at these parameters you can see there are 1000's of possible variations to develop and incorporate into your fitness program. Again Simplefit is a simple program that works on a few of these parameters but is designed to bring you into that realm and hopefully fully explore all those parameters at some point. However, there is no question you will get fit doing this program. Of course, variation is a key strategy in the Crossfit realm and works well. For more info I would read this :

#3 I would highly encourage a flexibility program in any level of fitness as it has been proven to enhance and further improve fitness levels. I guess you could think about the other muscle groups but personally I just think about trying to complete each days workout and advance. Everything else will fall into place. :)

#4 Take a look at the logs for a lot of folks particularly Cheapo and Volleyballman. Those guys have done outstanding work with Simplefit. VB moved on and even opened up a Crossfit facility but when he first started he couldn't do a pullup. This time one year ago I could barely do a pullup and my 1.5 mile run was over 15 minutes. I cranked out 16 straight pullups not too long ago and can do the 1.5 in under 12 minutes or right around there. I've lost 30 lbs. since then but I've been mixing up a lot of Crossfit and Simplefit. I just love both of them. My origins are here and I really like how Kevin keeps it "simple". I will say that my only focus is to get as fit as I can possibly be. I don't worry about my weight, how muscular I am or what I look like in the mirror. To me it's just a perk but not important to my goals. Mainly I try to do the best I can for each workout each day and hopefully beat the time or reps or increase the weight for each and every exercise I do. Nothing else has brought me to the level of fitness I've achieved thus far. I still would like to see myself complete L8D3 close to 5 minutes but the pullups and pushups are tough that fast heh. Good luck!

Postby SB87 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:27 am

Hi Bri3626,

thanks for your fast and kind reply. I just started SF (tomorrow will be L1D3) and I'm content so far, although my knees gave me a bit of trouble lately. I haven't figured out, if it is from the squats or another exercise I do sometimes, called "the bow pose". Especially this pose seem to give my knees a hard time for some reason and I think I'll quit it, for that reason.
I think, I have to focus on perfect form on the squats (even though, it'll slow me down a bit) and listen to my body. Additionaly, I'll do some basic leg work, when the mood strikes me (especially on the free days), e.g. jogging/sprinting or jumping rope.

One question, which came up lately was: what about the nutrition in SF ? Sure, I have some knowledge about nutrition yet, but is there a special recommendation for this program ?

Thanks for your support and Greetings from Germany

Postby Bri3626 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:00 am

Hi again,

Squats can definitely mess with your knees if not done properly. has several videos and instruction on how to do them properly. I would watch those videos then tape yourself and see if your form is the same. It might help.

Nutrition is definitely an interesting topic and so many have differing opinions on what to eat, when to eat it, and how to eat it. Crossfit is strong on the paleo and zone diet.

I follow the regimen that Greg Glassman says to use. Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, no sugar. It's about as simple as you can get and follows the mantra of simplefit. Basically I cut my plate into thirds and put 5 oz of meat in one section and a different colored vegetable in the other two thirds. The vegetables are approximately one to one and a half cups. I do two snacks a day and combine a small handful of nuts and a fruit.

The only vegetables I avoid are the 3 with the most simple carbs. I call them the PCP of veggies. Peas, corn, and potatoes.

The whole system works well for me and I do cheat once in a while but it has definitely made a difference and its so easy I dont have to worry about counting anything.

Return to fitness community