Simplefit.org • View topic - fizzle's log

fizzle's log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

fizzle's log

Postby fizzleboink » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:01 pm

I'm 21 years old, 6'5" and approximately 215 lbs.

I'm a decent weight but I'd like to improve my body fat % to increase definition. I'd also like to improve muscle mass in certain areas, and increase my overall strength.

Yes ofcourse I want the 8 pack abs and all that, but I'm most interested in having a balanced body. I'm one of those guys with the big arms, scrawny legs, and a somewhat flat chest (although this has been improving lately). This is most likely due to the amateurish weight lifting I've been doing since I started getting seriously into sports back in high school.

I started doing this program because it appeals to me. The workouts chosen are very efficient for an overall body workout in a short amount of time. The "levels" also give short term goals and something to aspire towards. I'd like to eventually switch over to the crossfit wotd after I bulid enough strength here.

I cut out junk (mostly) from my diet about 6 months ago and it has made a very large difference. I don't follow a strict routine, I just try and make as many healthy choices as possible.

I started doing the workouts at L1D1 but I did not have a pull-up bar, so I substituted curls in, just to get me ready (I never did pull-ups regularly). I finally got the Door-Gym last weekend, so I started the "real" workout plan at L4D1.

L4D1 - 15 reps

Pull-ups are tough. :)

I'm sure the difficulty between the 3 exercises will eventually even out, but I was flying through the push-ups. 3 previous weeks of squats have made me pretty good at those too, although I started off finding them to be the hardest. I used to do a lot of bench-pressing and push-ups for basketball training, so my comments earlier about a balanced body ring true.

Even though I'm a bit sore and have caught a bit of a cold, my body has never felt so good after a workout (and the day after). Oh and btw my schedule is going to be 1day on 1 day off.
fizzleboink

Postby Admin » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:40 pm

Welcome!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby fizzleboink » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:20 pm

L4D2 - 4:46

Booya! I want a strong finish to get to level 5 next week.
fizzleboink

Postby fizzleboink » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:59 pm

L4D3 - 5:06

Damn. The pull-ups killed me. For the last ten or so I had to do 1 or 2 at a time followed by a 15-30 second break. It took me 3 minutes just to do the pullups.

Oh well, I'll be stronger next week... and that should be enough to shave off the 6 seconds.
fizzleboink

Postby Admin » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:09 pm

That is perfectly acceptable, great job. Stay way under failure with your sets and you will progress quickly. Rest periods of up to 3 min are fine you have 30 min to complete the workout so make the most of it.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby fizzleboink » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:58 am

Admin wrote:That is perfectly acceptable, great job. Stay way under failure with your sets and you will progress quickly. Rest periods of up to 3 min are fine you have 30 min to complete the workout so make the most of it.

It's interesting, because staying way under failure is the complete opposite of what you're told to do in weight-lifting.

Are you saying that those rest periods don't count towards finishing the day 3 exercise in under 5 minutes? I know that's what you do for the day 2, but I wasn't sure if it was the same thing for day 3.
fizzleboink

Postby Admin » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:06 am

fizzleboink wrote:
Admin wrote:That is perfectly acceptable, great job. Stay way under failure with your sets and you will progress quickly. Rest periods of up to 3 min are fine you have 30 min to complete the workout so make the most of it.

It's interesting, because staying way under failure is the complete opposite of what you're told to do in weight-lifting.

Are you saying that those rest periods don't count towards finishing the day 3 exercise in under 5 minutes? I know that's what you do for the day 2, but I wasn't sure if it was the same thing for day 3.

Watch how fast you progress and decide for your self.

no free rest periods in day 3, but as long as you finish in around 15-30 minutes you are good to go.

from the workout page
"If the workouts take longer that 30 minutes or less than 5 minutes you need to adjust your level"

So go ahead and take up to 30 min to complete resting as necessary.

I am not sure I am explaining this well so let me know if you have more questions
Admin
Site Admin

Postby fizzleboink » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:39 am

Admin wrote:Watch how fast you progress and decide for your self.

no free rest periods in day 3, but as long as you finish in around 15-30 minutes you are good to go.

from the workout page
"If the workouts take longer that 30 minutes or less than 5 minutes you need to adjust your level"

So go ahead and take up to 30 min to complete resting as necessary.

I am not sure I am explaining this well so let me know if you have more questions

No I think I get it. I was just trying to get under 5 minutes to adjust my level up.
fizzleboink

Postby fizzleboink » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:35 pm

L4D1 - 18 reps

I used a different grip for the pull-ups, which made them a bit harder. I also decided to do knuckle push-ups to make it a bit harder. In the end I was still able to do more reps than last week.

Easter didn't help my diet though.
fizzleboink

Postby fizzleboink » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:45 pm

L4D2 - 4:46 again. I could have pushed it a bit further though.
fizzleboink

Postby fizzleboink » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:56 am

L4D4 - 4:43

I sure feel the burn in my shoulders today, wow. Time for Level 5.
fizzleboink

Postby Admin » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:16 am

Great Job!

What do you think of this?
http://simplefit.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=215
Admin
Site Admin

Postby fizzleboink » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:45 am

L5D1 - 13 reps

Pull-ups are still the hardest. I suspect it will be like that for a while.
fizzleboink

Postby fizzleboink » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:16 am

L5D2 - 7:36

I found this significantly more difficult than last week. The difficulty in each of the 3 different exercises is starting to balance out more too.
fizzleboink

Postby fizzleboink » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:43 am

L5D3 - 12:01

I was still noticeably tired/sore from yard work the day before... so I had to take some breaks.
fizzleboink

Next

Return to workouts