Simplefit.org • View topic - Maddog's Log

Maddog's Log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Re: Maddog's Log

Postby maddog » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:36 am

Yes, I think I'll follow you as far as Day 2 goes, trying to decrease the rest times while maintaining the same speed and form as I have currently. Thanks!

Week 14, L5, D2 - 5:15 (+:07). I stuck to the three minute rests perfectly this week, which may have contributed to my slightly slower time. It's hard to say, when we're looking at a couple seconds of difference per round.
Week 14, L5, D3 - 7:07 (-:08 and a PR). Doing extra pull-ups and push-ups as part of CC is definitely starting to pay off (I was worried there for a while). Pull-ups were 9/5/4/3/2/3, meaning I reduced the amount of sets needed to 6 from 7. Definitely shaved off a few seconds this way. Push-ups were 21/13/10/7, another reduction of sets needed, from 5 to 4. I was going to failure on the second two sets, which isn't ideal, but I think I could execute this progression better next week. Squats were 37/14. I still can't quite force myself to do them all at once, mainly because my shoulders get too tired from push-ups to hold up my arms. I'm pleased with today's time, and it's probably due partially to the fact that I took the day off from work today and slept in, instead of getting four hours of sleep and waking up as a zombie.
maddog
Advanced Member

Postby KTG » Fri May 04, 2012 6:29 am

Great progress, Maddog! I'm particularly impressed by the big first sets on the pull-ups and push-ups. If you can do that as a zombie, you should really be smashing it when you return to human form.
KTG

Postby maddog » Fri May 04, 2012 2:27 pm

Week 15:
L5D1 - Back up to 26 rounds (+2). D1 is always a chore, but sometimes it just seems to go better for no reason. This was one of those rare days...
L5D2 - 5:10 (-:05). Another week of policing my rest times to 3 minutes. Next week I may try 2:30 rests and see how that goes. Times were 1:06, 1:05, 1:01, 0:59, :059.
L5D3 - 6:49 (-:18 and a PR). I didn't expect to get under 7 minutes and was definitely suffering through the squats near the end. I did the same approach to pull-ups as before, 9/5/4/3/2/3. Push-ups were 22/13/9/7. Squats were 35/16. I don't know if I'll be able to repeat this performance next week, but for now I'm very pleased.
maddog
Advanced Member

Postby maddog » Mon May 07, 2012 5:06 pm

I was gonna start just posting once a week, but today went so well I have to record it before the endorphins wear off.

Week 16, L5, D1 - 29 rounds this week, which is +3 from my previous PR! Today started off very poorly, and I felt like shit in the morning after sleeping through my alarm so I decided to skip the workout. But after an even shittier rest of the day and a big dinner, I decided that the only way to salvage my self-respect would be to go through with sf (I don't think I have ever skipped a day yet...unless I skipped one when my wisdom teeth were pulled, but I can't recall). I'm glad I did, since my bad mood and the pile of bbq soy chicken nuggets from dinner really fueled the workout. I feel great now, but I'm sure the next couple days will be full of DOMS and stiff legs.

Just did the math and that was 87 pull-ups, 145 push-ups, and 232 squats. Not bad!
maddog
Advanced Member

Postby KTG » Fri May 11, 2012 3:55 am

Fantastic! That is an amazing improvement. Are you still doing the Convict Conditioning? How is that interaction feeling? It looks like it must be working pretty well!
KTG

Postby maddog » Fri May 11, 2012 5:08 pm

Yep, still doing the CC stuff, although to me its more of a fun thing to do on off days from sf rather than a goal in itself. Sometimes it's difficult because it means I am sore most days, and I've been considering shuffling the schedule so I have one "off" day, since right now I do at least one CC progression or sf workout every day.

Week 15, L5, D2 - Didn't bother timing myself since I was moving comically slowly, due to Monday's efforts. I dunno where those 29 rounds came from, but they definitely took a toll on my body. Even walking hurt...However I did get through the five sets...eventually.
Week 15, L5, D3 - 7:25 (+:36). I think I am still feeling the consequences of D1. Pull-ups went much slower than usual, same with push-ups. Slower in terms of how fast I could do a rep and how long I took between sets. Pull-ups were 9/5/4/3/3/2 and push-ups were 20/14/10/7. Squats were 36/15. I gave it my all, though, so not really disappointed. Next week maybe I'll ease up on D1 a little so I can get a better D3 result.
maddog
Advanced Member

Postby krp312 » Sat May 12, 2012 4:47 am

maddog wrote:L4, W6, D1 - Today was a little problematic. I got through 21 full rounds with a consistent pace and good form, but on the last few a small twinge at the outside of my right elbow during push-ups turned into a very concerning sudden pain/popping that kept me from doing any more push-ups, even on my knees. It didn't seem to affect my pulling muscles though, so I did three or four rounds after this with just pull-ups and squats. I'm a little concerned about the elbow, and if it still hurts in a couple days I may go down to level two for the rest of the week in order to avoid making it worse.

Hi,

I'm having the same situation with my elbow. I was wondering if you changed anything to avoid the elbow pain other than going a level down. Did you change your form?

Thanks,
k
krp312

Postby maddog » Mon May 14, 2012 10:51 pm

Hi krp. IIRC, I didn't actually go down a level, but I did ease up on the intensity a little. I also tried to be more conscious of form in my push-ups, as far as keeping my elbows from flaring out from my sides. Occasionally I still encounter this pain, but I can generally feel it coming on and adjust accordingly by resting in the workout or performing my reps slower. If it gets really bad for you though, maybe consider seeing a doctor?

Week 16, L5, D1 - 26 rounds (-3). I had intended to take this week's D1 very slowly since I definitely overdid it last week, but when I got to 20 rounds and checked the clock (i have to unlock my phone's screen to see the timer since my screen turns off after 15 seconds), I found that I still had 3:45 left. I figured that I had enough gas in me to get 5 or so rounds in, but pushed hard enough to get 6. Pretty happy with 26 rounds. An interesting factor in todays workout as compared to last week's is that I was operating on a very empty stomach rather than a very full one. In some ways it was easier, since I was less sluggish and I could look forward to having dinner afterwards. The flip side was a distinct lack of energy from the hunger - I was very tempted to pause between rounds.
maddog
Advanced Member

Postby maddog » Fri May 18, 2012 5:48 pm

Week 17(mislabeled the last few entries...), L5, D2 - 5:08 (-:02 from two weeks ago, didn't time last week). I was sore again this week from D1, but not nearly as bad as before.
Week 17, L5, D3 - 6:55 (-:33). Still not as fast as my PR, which is 6:49, but much better than last week. Pull-ups were the 9/5/4/3/2/3, push-ups 23/13/9/6, and squats were all the way through this time. I think if I want to improve my time I'll need to get signficantly better at pull-ups. Unfortunately, in two weeks I'm moving to a new apartment in canada for the summer and I doubt I'll have any opportunity to do pull-ups. I'll try and do some sort of modified sf and cc, but I'll definitely lose some pull-up ability and maybe will need to go down a couple levels when I return in september. :/
maddog
Advanced Member

Postby maddog » Mon May 21, 2012 6:41 pm

Week 18, L5, D1 - 15 rounds (-11). This is probably the worst performance I've had on a day one, but today was one of those days where either I took my sweet time or I end up not doing the work out at all. This day represents the pinnacle of several weeks with limited sleep and high stress levels from finals. After today, I'll get more rest and be under less mental/emotional/physical stress. Another factor contributing to my extreme slowness today was that my arms were very stiff and sore from yesterdays CC, which was pull-ups (I am onto the close pull-ups now, and I'm able to do nine or ten now).

These are poor excuses, to be sure, but at the very least I know I will do better next week...
maddog
Advanced Member

Postby KTG » Fri May 25, 2012 4:36 am

I think they are fine excuses. Just keeping pushing through is what really matters.

Hopefully there will be a park with a pull-up bar in Canada. Or maybe just a strategically located tree branch. Cheapo's in Canada too. I'm sure he'll loan you his pull-up bar anytime you need it.

Have a great break!
KTG

Postby maddog » Fri May 25, 2012 1:24 pm

@KTG, I'll do what I can! I'm hoping to join a climbing gym if I have the time and money. Even if I can't do the simplefit stuff while I'm there, the climbing should do just as much (if not more) for my pull-ups as sf.

Week 18, Level 5, Day 2: Times of 1:05, 1:06, :59, :57, :55 for a total of 5:02 (-:06, I think also a PR). Nothing out of the ordinary here.
Week 18, Level 5, Day 3: Finished in 6:47 (-:08 and a PR by 2 seconds). This thing is still so damn hard! Pull-ups were 9/5/4/3/3/2, Push-ups 24/14/7/6, Squats all the way through. A few days of 8+ hours of sleep are doing wonders for my mood and energy level, and I'm sure that helped me today.
maddog
Advanced Member

Postby maddog » Mon May 28, 2012 1:38 pm

Week 19, Level 5, D1: Just barely finished 27 rounds (+12 from last week, -2 from PR). I wasn't sure how today would go, since I spent the entire morning and afternoon moving boxes up and down three flights of stairs to move a friend out so i could move in. However, today is the last day that I'll be able to do simplefit normally since I won't have a place to put a pull-up bar in either the room i'm staying in this summer or the attic room i'm staying in next year (too short). I'll just have to figure something else out for pull-ups. Anyway, I tried hard today, and I'm happy with 27 even though it's not a PR. There's sweat dripping off my face and I feel pretty energized...that's enough for me.There is a tiny possibility that I miscounted and actually got 26, but either way it seems like a fitting place to leave off for now. I'll continue updating when I can, even if it's not necessarily SF stuff.
maddog
Advanced Member

Postby maddog » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:46 am

A little update:
I am in my new apartment now and simplefit is no longer very viable since the place is tiny, there is nowhere to put a pull-up bar, and the downstairs neighbors are exceedingly cranky. However, I am able to run or walk to a park 1.25 mi from my place and use the playground equipment. So I've decided to shelf sf until I return (unless I can solve the pull-up bar problem) and do a sort of modified CC for the duration of the summer. In addition to this, I'm starting to run (short distances!) but I also have to walk everywhere, a minimum of 2mi a day for my work commute. So hopefully my fitness level will not drop too far over the next three months, at which point I'll return home and have to build myself a pull-up bar and restart simplefit...maybe from the start this time, for good measure.
maddog
Advanced Member

Postby KTG » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:06 am

Thanks for the update.

I'm a big fan of running, so perhaps this will be your chance to work that into your rotation.

Have a great summer!
KTG

Previous

Return to workouts