Simplefit.org • View topic - Question about running and doing this program as a newb

Question about running and doing this program as a newb

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Question about running and doing this program as a newb

Postby Benhamine » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:13 am

Hey guys. New here and have been looking for a body weight program to go along with some running that I've been doing. For the past couple of weeks I've been running about 1.75 miles/20 min a day on a treadmill and wanted to start working on building muscle along with this cardio. My question regards doing the workout and the cardio. I've read online that it's better to do the cardio after the workout as the running can tire you out and cause bad form and prevent you from lifting as much. 1) Have you guys noticed this? Is it better to run before or after? My second question regards amount. On the days that I work out with this plan should I run less distance but same time, same speed but less time, or the same of both? I'm very new to this and apologize if I sound like a doofus :? I'm looking forward to getting started though!

Thanks
-Benhamine

Edit: My Specs:
Age - 23
Weight - 185
Height - 6'1"
Benhamine

Re: Question about running and doing this program as a newb

Postby KTG » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:19 am

My inexpert view is that it is better to run after the workout rather than before. For me simplefit is much more taxing as an upper body workout, so is a good complement to running. Personally, I would recommend just adding simplefit to your running program, I don't really think you would need to change it that much. You might find you are a little slower on Simplefit days (especially day 1) but I wouldn't expect too much of an effect. Unless you are planning to be an everyday runner, you could also alternate simplefit and running days.

Obviously, if your goal is to be an elite level runner, you'll need some coaching with more scientific ideas about weight training programs.
KTG

Postby Benhamine » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:44 am

Goal is to just get healthier and hopefully look better aesthetically. I started Simplefit Monday and my second day is today. Man...I'm more out of shape than I thought. I'm still feeling Monday's workout in my chest and triceps. I didn't run Monday, but I probably will today.

Thanks for the advice!
-Benhamine
Benhamine

Postby KTG » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:23 am

For those goals, the number one thing is keeping the motivation to stay at it consistently. That means that theoretically optimal results are less important than the practical realities of what you enjoy and what motivates you to keep at it.

I find Simplefit great for this because the challenge of improving times and moving up through the levels helps keep me going and it really only takes about 15 minutes three times a week. Being too busy is never a real excuse.
KTG

Postby Benhamine » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:30 am

I totally agree. I love that each week I'm going to be trying to beat myself. Today after work is my first day 3...and I've been kind of dreading seeing how horrible my time's going to be, but I know it's a starting point and can't wait to start improving.

-Benhamine
Benhamine

Return to fitness training