Simplefit.org • View topic - Zelenn's Log

Zelenn's Log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Zelenn's Log

Postby Zelenn » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:01 pm

Hey guys, first day starting Simple Fit. Looks like you guys have a great community so I'm joinin in.

Height: 5'7"
Weight: 160 lbs
Activity LV: I run 3K from time to time, but generally no weightlifting or bodyweight exercises.

L1D1 26 rounds.

After my 5th round pullups became increasingly more difficult and after the 7th round I began 'counting' what I'll call "slow drops" as pullups. This is where I jump up and hold my weight, lowering myself down as slow as I can. (I do my pullups off my back porch which is higher than me, but still reachable while standing. I just grab and bend my knees allowing my body to hang.)

Are these 'slow drops' acceptable substitutions?
Zelenn

Re: Zelenn's Log

Postby wwitzel3 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:58 pm

When I was working through the 100 pushups routine, I found I got better results dropping to my knees and going through the full range of movement. Same when I substitute pullups. I always feel like I work harder when I use a chair and do full range then when I slow drop.

Great job getting 26 rounds! Keep it up. I look forward to following your progress.
wwitzel3

Re: Zelenn's Log WEEK 1 DAY 2

Postby Zelenn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:47 am

My schedule has recently shifted (in a good way) so it was a couple days before I found my footing again. I am happy to report that I am now employed!!

Anyway...

L1D2

5 rounds
7 min 45 sec

1.5 mile run
Untimed

I again had issues with doing the 2 solid pull ups after about the third round. (Jesus, I could like 10 of these straight back in High School... you ever take stock of your (now diminished) pull up abilities and feel like shit?) Today for a substitute I did a combo of 2 Slow Drops and then I fought as hard as I could to do a pull up from the neutral, hanging, starting position. But hey, no issues with the push ups and here I thought I'd have issues with it.

The session felt kinda short to me, so I ran 1.5 miles. It freezing cold outside, but I think the cold air did me some good. I think I'll start timing my runs.
Zelenn

Postby Zelenn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:50 am

@ wwitzel3

Thanks for the support.
Zelenn

Postby wwitzel3 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:10 pm

Nice work, keep it up!
wwitzel3

Re: Zelenn's Log WEEK 1 DAY 3

Postby Zelenn » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:59 pm

L1D3

Time- 7:44

For some reason I got confused and thought I had to do 21 pull ups, so my pull ups took a long time (in fact my pullups took at least the first 5 minutes). My pull ups went something like this (3-2-2-1-sub-sub-sub etc etc) for 21 pull ups. My 'new' sub is to push up slightly with my feet and perform the pull up using the momentum to make it easier, but still challenging. This only works because my pull up bar (2x4) is EXACTLY high enough to be reached from a standing postion with fully extended arms. I don't have to jump at all. So I reach up, grab, and push off with my feet using only the strength of the calves and feet, no jumping and perfrom this easier pull up that still allows me to go through the whole range of motion.

Push ups were easy... ish.

No problem with the squats. In fact it seems to me that my lower body is way stronger than my upper body.
Zelenn

Postby wwitzel3 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:48 pm

Hope you plan on sticking around? Waiting to see your L1D1 results for Week 2.
wwitzel3

Postby KTG » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:12 am

Great start! 21 reps for the pull-ups is a good preview of level 4, so you're in great shape at this point.
KTG

Return to workouts