Simplefit.org • View topic - CharlesB's log and questions

CharlesB's log and questions

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

CharlesB's log and questions

Postby charlesb2k » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:21 am

Today is my first day, I guess you call that L1D1 on this forum.

I started at Level 1 because I don't really exercise much. I found Simplefit because I was trying to find a good bodyweight workout in only 30 minutes or less.

My gym doesn't have a pullup bar, instead they have one of those assisted pullup machines that you kneel on. So, I tried one pullup without assistance, and it didn't go too well.

On the next set I switched the weight to 40 lbs, and struggled through 1 pullup. After a few rounds, adjusting the weight each time, I ended up on 70lbs. That's not quite 1/2 my body weight, but I still worked to get through each pullup.

Question 1, was that an acceptable adjustment?

I ended with 20 rounds in 20 minutes.

Question 2, what do I do, if anything on the off days, Tues, Thurs, Sat?

Thanks,
Charles
charlesb2k

Re: CharlesB's log and questions

Postby cheapo » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:44 pm

Those pull-up assistance machines are great. They will help get you doing pull-ups on your own faster than any substitution or other exercise. Keep at it. You should be able to lower the assistance every week or two.

My advice is that you don't do any exercise on the days between SimpleFit workouts. On the other hand, if you want to play on those days, have at it. Play is any physical activity you do for pleasure: running, basketball, hockey, walking the dog, etc. If being physically active is going to be a permanent part of your life (that's the goal right?) then you need to make room for play. If your only physical activity is exercise, the chance that you will not stick with it increase dramatically.

In addition to playing on your off days, you could spend some time reading about eating right, exercise and ideas for play.
cheapo

Postby charlesb2k » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:36 pm

Thanks for the encouragement.

I got sick after day 1 and have been sick for 2 days. I don't know if it is a result of the work out or if it was just something I already had coming on already.

Anyway, I'll hit day 1 again on Monday.

Oh, why are there no ab exercises in SimpleFit?
charlesb2k

Postby cheapo » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:43 pm

charlesb2k wrote:Oh, why are there no ab exercises in SimpleFit?

Because all of pull-ups, push-ups (!) and squats all hit the abs.
cheapo

Postby charlesb2k » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:44 am

L1D1 (Again)

I bought a 3 pack of personal training sessions at our recreation center. He did all body weight exercises with me, and kicked my butt!

Then, I purchased a set of adjustable dumbells at Target, and one of those pullup bars that hangs over the door. After playing with my girls on the pullup bar yesterday, today was time to get back to it.

I can't do a full pullup without assistance yet, so I did 3 for 1 using my legs to push up from a stool under the bar. My arms gave out at round 8, so I pushed a lot more with my legs for the 9th and 10th round.

Result, 10 rounds in 20 minutes.

I can barely move my arms to type now!

Charles
charlesb2k

Postby Beaver » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:33 am

pullup machines are great. I used them before starting simplefit to help with pullups. My gym doesn't have any pullup bars either. I just use a smith machine and put the bar all the way to the top for actual bodyweight pullups now. That might not work if your tall though
Beaver

Postby KTG » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:01 am

Nice start, Charles. Welcome! Everyone starts at their own level. If you keep at it you will get stronger and better. Two or three months from now you'll be doing things you could not have imagined.

One of the ironies of Simplefit as a workout community is the difficulty of typing after a workout!
KTG

Postby charlesb2k » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:16 pm

I had a massive tension headache later that day and had to go to the Chiropractor to get an adjustment.

I think I tense up my neck muscles too much when doing the pull ups. I think I need to use more of my legs until I get stronger and can do them without tensing my neck up.

Didn't get to day 2 yet. Maybe next week.

L1D1 next week again.

Oh, I'm going to order the Bodylastics bands as soon as they get restocked with the MMA package again. That package offers two of every band, so my family can work out together.
charlesb2k

Postby charlesb2k » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:52 am

L1D1 again.

I decided to use my legs a lot more for my assisted pullups. This allowed me to concentrate on using the correct muscles, and to not tense up my neck so much. I really feel like I got a great workout today by doing this.

I did 25 rounds!

Arms are a good kind of tired, and my neck doesn't hurt!

Someone posted, or there was an ad about BodyLastics, so I'll be purchasing those bands soon. I really like the liveexercise.com videos!

Great workout today!

Charles
charlesb2k

Noticing improvements!

Postby charlesb2k » Tue May 29, 2012 7:37 am

I haven't been very consistent in my workouts. However, I try to get Day 1 Level 1 in once a week. Haven't attempted Day 2 yet.

I am doing assisted pullups, using my legs on a step stool to assist with lifing myself. Since I'm doing that, my legs are getting a lot of work out each day I do the workout! (1 pullup = 3 assisted pullups = 3 squats using my legs!) However, I don't push up with only my legs, they only assist, most of my pullup is with my arms and back.

However, yesterday while at a playground, I grabbed the monkey bars and did... 2 dead hang pullups! A definite improvement from a few months ago, when I couldn't even pull myself up at all!

I mix the SimpleFit workouts with the BodyLastics workouts and have been improving each time.
charlesb2k

Postby KTG » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:24 am

Congratulations on hitting the pull-ups milestone!

Once you can do two deadhang in a row like that, you are about ready for the normal simplefit level one routine.

Other intermediate steps are to do negatives (start at the top of the bar and let yourself down) or halfs (start at the top of the bar, go half-way down and hold it for a second, then go back up).

Great work!
KTG

Return to workouts