Simplefit.org • View topic - L1 Push ups (and other questions)

L1 Push ups (and other questions)

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

L1 Push ups (and other questions)

Postby Shentao » Wed May 23, 2012 5:16 pm

I started simplefit just last week and Day 1 did 25 sets, but was so sore the rest of the week that I waited until this week to do a full weeks worth of the workout. I have a pull-up bar attached to the doorframe of my closet which I have used in past years and have started using again for this workout, so the pull-ups are not my issue. However, I have not been able to do enough standard push ups to keep up with my pull-ups and squats, so I have been substituting push-ups from the knees.

Is this alright? Also I was planning to stay on the L1 level until my push-ups can keep up with the rest of my workout, would this be the best idea?

EDIT: Also, I'd prefer to work out 5 days a week at least, rather than just three (obviously not the same muscle groups) but what might be good off-day workouts? I've yet to heavily research other possibilities and plan to, but was hoping that some veterans could give me some advice on that matter as well.
Shentao

Re: L1 Push ups (and other questions)

Postby Bri3626 » Thu May 24, 2012 6:21 am

When you say the standard pushups dont keep up what does that mean? If your doing level one day one or L1D1 are you doing the required standard pushups or failing somewhere from that 1st set to the 25th set? Or is your form so bad your just doing knee pushups?

If you can complete standard pushups I would recommend sticking with them only. Start your session and rest as you need to complete the pullups, pushups, and squats with good form. It's not really recommended to substitute knee pushups if you can do standard pushups even if they seem to be weaker. This is good news actually because you have found your weakness. So guess what you need to work on the hardest? Pushups of course. So if you can do standard pushups you should run through your rounds and if your not able to complete a standard pushup (meaning nose, chest, and hips touch the deck at the same time) you should rest until your able to do so. Some folks will disagree with this but I found that when you just start out pushing to the point of failure and beyond is just a waste of time and effort. Your a good example because you lost a week in training due to soreness. You should do your rounds only to the point that you feel that you will probably fail on the next rep then rest as long as you need to continue or complete the exercise.

Now this will likely drop the rounds you complete but who cares? What you really want is quality exercise movements that you can do quickly and efficiently. As a newbie to a program like this starting fresh means working on correct form and only pushing yourself enough to beat what you did last week. Thats the most important thing. It is slow and does take patience but it works. Get your base for each of the workout days then move up each week even if it means completing one extra round or lowering your time by a couple seconds.

As for extra workout days I think thats personal preference, but if you just completed one day and were sore for a week I would say your probably jumping the gun a bit. First things first, get started and stay consistent on the program for a few months then review your training regimen. Learn the proper forms, avoid injury, and it should fall into place.

Good luck and welcome!
Bri3626

Re: L1 Push ups (and other questions)

Postby Shentao » Thu May 24, 2012 2:19 pm

When you say the standard pushups dont keep up what does that mean? If your doing level one day one or L1D1 are you doing the required standard pushups or failing somewhere from that 1st set to the 25th set? Or is your form so bad your just doing knee pushups?

To clarify on this I mean to say that on the 5th set (rough estimate) I failed and then proceeded to do knee pushups for the rest of the sets.

If you can complete standard pushups I would recommend sticking with them only. Start your session and rest as you need to complete the pullups, pushups, and squats with good form. It's not really recommended to substitute knee pushups if you can do standard pushups even if they seem to be weaker. This is good news actually because you have found your weakness. So guess what you need to work on the hardest? Pushups of course. So if you can do standard pushups you should run through your rounds and if your not able to complete a standard pushup (meaning nose, chest, and hips touch the deck at the same time) you should rest until your able to do so. Some folks will disagree with this but I found that when you just start out pushing to the point of failure and beyond is just a waste of time and effort. Your a good example because you lost a week in training due to soreness. You should do your rounds only to the point that you feel that you will probably fail on the next rep then rest as long as you need to continue or complete the exercise.

The week in training I lost because I hadn't worked out in a while moreso than because I am out of shape, this week I did the same, (25 sets L1D1) and pecs/tris were not very sore next day. I'll make note though that pushups are still my weakest excersize of the three.

Now this will likely drop the rounds you complete but who cares? What you really want is quality exercise movements that you can do quickly and efficiently. As a newbie to a program like this starting fresh means working on correct form and only pushing yourself enough to beat what you did last week. Thats the most important thing. It is slow and does take patience but it works. Get your base for each of the workout days then move up each week even if it means completing one extra round or lowering your time by a couple seconds.

Thank you for the advice here, I can do the squats and pull-ups with good form, as I have worked out and been in shape previously, but have not worked out recently. (So being weak in this one speciifc area is somewhat frustrating), but I know I need to take my time.

As for extra workout days I think thats personal preference, but if you just completed one day and were sore for a week I would say your probably jumping the gun a bit. First things first, get started and stay consistent on the program for a few months then review your training regimen. Learn the proper forms, avoid injury, and it should fall into place.

Good luck and welcome!

Again, the second week has proven to be much better than the first, completing the same number of reps on D1 and with very little soreness the next day, which is why I was looking for an off-day workout. Though I suppose its possible I still might not be ready for that.
Shentao

Return to fitness training