Simplefit.org • View topic - Training sore muscles?

Training sore muscles?

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Training sore muscles?

Postby dgkimpton » Sat May 05, 2007 2:11 am

Hi, I'm new here. It's been a long while since I did any fitness stuff (years in fact) so I'm working my way up to level 1.

For the record I'm 172cm, 72Kg and just today have finally managed to complete a Level 1 workout (mostly) - the Day 3. Mostly? Yeah, my legs are way tight and I can't get fully down onto my heels in the squats.

Anyway, I had a question.

Is it a good idea to work sore muscles? I.e. If I train one day and the next day my muscles are sore should I go ahead and do that day's workout anyway or is it inviting injury?
dgkimpton

sore muscles

Postby fitnatic » Sat May 05, 2007 2:28 am

In my opinion you should work out even though you are sore, it will help your soreness completely and you will feel much better and the soreness will go away faster. Make sure you are stretching after your workout to get more flexability as time goes and that also helps with soreness.
fitnatic

Postby scumdogg » Sat May 05, 2007 4:06 am

I think it's ok to work through slight muscular pain that results from a previous workout as long as you listen to your body. Know the difference between muscular pain that results from a hard workout and pain associated with injury. Working out while ignoring the pain of an injury will only aggravate it and will not only slow your progress but probably prevent you from working out all together.

Also, like fitnatic said, make sure that you are warming up and stretching the muscle out. You should also be getting adequate rest between sessions. This is a personal thing so you'll have to figure out what works for you. I've known people that can workout 7 days a week and still make progress, where as if I followed that schedule I'd burn out and my progress would come to a stand still.
scumdogg

Postby dgkimpton » Sat May 05, 2007 7:21 am

Thanks guys that's kinda what I assumed, but figured it was better to check than cause myself more problems later (I have enough of them already).

Interesting that you suggest stretching also after a workout - I've never done that, but it makes a certain degree of sense. Thanks!
dgkimpton

Postby Admin » Sat May 05, 2007 7:50 am

Great advice above, If the soreness does not go away after a couple workouts or is sharp around joints you may want to rest. Ice and Epsom salt baths are really good. With time you will be able to differentiate between soreness and injury, but always better safe than sorry. I have missed months of training because I did not skip weeks when I should have.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby dgkimpton » Sat May 05, 2007 9:00 am

Thanks.

How about the opposite statement? If I (say) do a workout in the morning but am not feeling it at all in the afternoon should I do another workout?

Or is it better to stick to only doing one per day?

I guess I'm just a bit impatient ;)
dgkimpton

Postby fitnatic » Sat May 05, 2007 9:32 am

I'd say that if you had a light workout and you didn't get the feeling that you've done enough, you can go back and workout again, but work a different muscle group. Try a circuit training or interval training set if you feel in the mood. I love those type of workouts. I feel great after a hard intense circuit training. If you workoutat a gym or someplace you can get on a bike, do a ten minute set on level 20 and super set that with walking lunges or etc.
You are going to see results in a little while, give yourself baby steps and attainable goals, don't quit, you will one day look in the mirror and see results. I have been on crossfit workouts for a couple of months and I have great results in my ams and shoulders and back with tone and muscle and definition, I too was a little discouraged at first, but it will come.

You will achieve more by baby steps and have fun while at it.
fitnatic

Postby dgkimpton » Sat May 05, 2007 1:13 pm

Sounds logical. Not that I'm in that position yet ;-)

Baby steps sound just fine to me :D
dgkimpton

Return to fitness training