• View topic - Squats - proper form

Squats - proper form

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Squats - proper form

Postby dgkimpton » Wed May 09, 2007 5:25 am

It seems to me there is a myriad of different possibilities for performing squats incorrectly, and probably a lot less ways of doing it right.

I watched the air-squats video over on but it left me with some remaining questions about foot positioning.

What is the correct foot position? Legs together, shoulder width apart, wide apart?
Should the feet be parallel, pointed in or out?

any help greatly appreciated.

Postby Admin » Wed May 09, 2007 7:34 am

I think feet shoulder width apart feet pointing forward heels is a good place to start. This may help ... 6976843871

There will be great variance from individual to individual, I personally have need to have my feet wide apart and toes pointing out a little because of a hip problem.
Site Admin

Postby dgkimpton » Wed May 09, 2007 1:02 pm

Thanks, that was the one I'd already watched, but I took another closer look and think I've got it. Although I'm pretty sure my but is dipping at the end (kinda hard to be certain).

Anyway, feels better now I'm not forcing my feet to be exactly parallel - took allot of strain off my knees.

Postby scumdogg » Wed May 09, 2007 6:01 pm

I've always heard the best way to determine your optimum foot spacing and placement for squatting is to stand on a chair or some such and jump down. Where your feet land and how they're placed is what you should aim for. I'm not sure how accurate this is but it might be a good starting point. I tend to alternate my foot spacing between workouts, just to shift the stress around and to keep things interesting.

Postby Drano » Sun May 20, 2007 9:20 am

I like to keep my feet just on the inside of shoulder width.

I also do my squats "Hindu" style. Much like in the video in the link, but I go down to parralell or below.

Return to fitness training