Simplefit.org • View topic - The importance of sleep/rest

The importance of sleep/rest

body weight exercise community

Moderator: cheapo

How many hours of sleep do you regularly get?

More than 8 hours
No votes
8 hours
14%
7 hours
57%
6 hours
29%
Less than 6 hours
No votes
I don't sleep, less time for Crossfit WOD (Workout of the Day)
No votes

Total votes : 14

The importance of sleep/rest

Postby ucffool » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:11 am

This past week (my week3) I've been getting 6 hours of sleep instead of 8, due to some work related items (going in early). This has shown up in my workouts it seems... I have made progress (more rounds, shorter time), but I don't feel as comfortable or as capable as last week.
I'd love to hear other individual's take on sleep. Luckily, this was only a 'this week' thing.
Last edited by ucffool on Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ucffool

Postby Admin » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:11 am

Good topic

Sleep is key, you actually do allot when your sleep:
- build muscle
- metabolize fat
- recovery ( rebuild tissue )

It is hard to get a good 8 hours but it pays off if we can.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby aussiechick » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:10 pm

I put 6 hours down for the poll, but its really only a guess. I have about 8 - 9 hours in bed but I am a terrible sleeper and think I would average about 6 hours.

Sleep quantity and quality definetly effects my workouts and general energy. Every now and then I go through a few weeks of really bad insomnia and after a couple of nights like that I am a mess.

Bec
aussiechick

Postby dgkimpton » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:50 am

It's normally 6 hours in bed, but this weekend I've been completely wiped out - 12 to 14 hours both nights :/
dgkimpton

Postby Bart » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:00 pm

Before I started working out I would go to sleep at 10:00 or later and get up at 5:00. Now that I have been exercising it's lights out around 9:00 whether I want to or not. Also I get a solid night of sleep than before and feel refreshed in the morning. Exercising does so much more for the body than losing weight or looking good. I mental health is the best that it ever has been, too. I was told by a doctor once that regular exercise works better than anti-depressants for certain people.
Bart

Postby scumdogg » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:09 am

I'm like aussiechick and try to shoot for 8 hours but in reality only get about 5-6 of quality sleep, some nights less. I'm a chronic tosser and turner.
scumdogg

Postby Admin » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:22 am

Bart wrote:Before I started working out I would go to sleep at 10:00 or later and get up at 5:00. Now that I have been exercising it's lights out around 9:00 whether I want to or not. Also I get a solid night of sleep than before and feel refreshed in the morning. Exercising does so much more for the body than losing weight or looking good. I mental health is the best that it ever has been, too. I was told by a doctor once that regular exercise works better than anti-depressants for certain people.

I can't tell you how many time's I have heard this from people. I personally have experienced enhanced mood and reduced stress as well.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gary » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:21 am

Admin wrote:
Bart wrote:Before I started working out I would go to sleep at 10:00 or later and get up at 5:00. Now that I have been exercising it's lights out around 9:00 whether I want to or not. Also I get a solid night of sleep than before and feel refreshed in the morning. Exercising does so much more for the body than losing weight or looking good. I mental health is the best that it ever has been, too. I was told by a doctor once that regular exercise works better than anti-depressants for certain people.

I can't tell you how many time's I have heard this from people. I personally have experienced enhanced mood and reduced stress as well.

Same with me. I only got about five hours of sleep this morning and I feel totally rested, but a month or so ago I would have been feeling stone dead all day long.
Gary

Return to fitness community