Simplefit.org • View topic - Gravey's Goals

Gravey's Goals

body weight Fitness Goals

Moderator: cheapo

Gravey's Goals

Postby Gravey » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:34 pm

I am 34 ,6'3", 280 lbs and recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic. This my friends simply will not do! I want to get down to 225 lbs by next year. This program looks doable except for the pull ups, these have always been a roadblock for me. I look forward to the challenge and welcome any and all advice (especially nutrition). Here's to looking good in '08!
Gravey

Postby ucffool » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:44 pm

Goals seem to match mine. You are 6 years older and 20 lbs lighter, but none the less we share the same goals. I have no idea your body structure, but I would recommend checking out my workout log. I've included pictures as well as instructions on making 'rings' for bodyrows. I recommend subbing those for pull-ups so you don't suffer some of my own pitfalls. Welcome!

Oh, and on nutrition, I suck and should not be used for any references ;)
ucffool

Postby Admin » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:04 pm

Welcome Gravy,

You can reach your goes and improve you situation greatly and exercise will help but 90% of it will be nutrition.

One of the most simple strategys you can take on would be to cut 100% of all refined carbohydrates from your diet. Get all carbs from a little fruit and allot of vegitables even without exercise this most likely would get you to your goal.
I would say cut carbs to 45-60g gram a day and you will drop weight extremely fast. I went from 212 to 170 doing exactly that.

(!BE ABSOLUTELY SURE TO OK THIS WITH YOU DOC BEFORE HAND!)

Here are some outstanding books I recommend

Protein Power lifespan: Michael and Marie Eaded M.D.
Paleo Diet: Loren Cordain, Ph.D.
Lights out: T.S. Whiley Bent Formby PH.D.
Mastering The Zone: DR Sears Barry PH.D.

I also made a simplified eating plan based on the guidelines of these books
http://www.simplefit.org/phpbb/viewtopi ... =2790#2790

Welcome
Admin
Site Admin

Postby aussiechick » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:22 pm

Hi Gravey

Just wanted to pop in and say welcome!

Bec
aussiechick

Postby volleyball_man » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:57 am

Welcome Gravey!

My mantra has become "Strength before strength endurance" thanks to Kevin.

Read Andy's (ucffool) log. In fact find those of us at level 1 or 2 with high volume of posts and see our experiments and results to help you get some good starting info. Most of us made some valuable discoveries early on.

Have fun!
volleyball_man

Day 1

Postby Gravey » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:41 pm

L1D1 got through 16 rounds as well as 30 crunches and 15 back raises. It was really hot today but I got through with only a little elbow pain on the push-ups.
Gravey

Postby Bri3626 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:04 pm

Welcome!

Just some thoughts. As a PA (physician assistant) it sounds like you may have what they call metabolic syndrome. Your primary risk factor for this is abdominal obesity. I see this all the time in my practice and am working very hard to prevent/reverse the effects of it.

Essentially its a constellation of problems that work hand in hand to increase your risk for heart attack and stroke. They are

Low HDL (essentially good cholesterol), and of course usually high cholesterol may go with this but not always.
high triglycerides (fat in your blood)
elevated blood sugar
elevated blood pressure

Use to be called Syndrome X years ago and some docs don't believe or accept this as an actual syndrome. However, I see this over and over and can state from my experience it exists.

There are two primary factors that cause it. Poor dietary habits and being sedentary.

Kevin is right in that you should very much concentrate on your nutrition. Your exercise is plugged in for you mostly via this web site (aka simplefit). Eating is a little tougher cause its hard to tell someone, "Eat exactly this and this amount per day." In your case, being a diabetic, it is absolutely essential that you get control of what you eat.

As we all know thats easier said than done. If you look at the various categories on this site you will see that nutrition and diet logging are the least accessed. This is actually quite common (I'm guilty too heh). But it is equally as important as getting fit. Doing your homework on this one will pay back in huge dividends later.

I would also recommend a book written by Dr. Stephen Masley. It's called "Ten Years Younger". He has been studying this syndrome for a long time and has a pretty good handle on it. You can also visit his web site at http://www.tenyearsyounger.net (I get no royalties for referring you to him [I swear!])

If you haven't already done so I would get an appointment to see a DIABETIC nutritionist too.

I would also suggest that you get regular follow up with your Physician checking your blood sugar often (maybe even checking at home with a glucose monitor). Maybe quarterly get a hemoglibin A1c done to verify your on track. If it's high it means your not keeping it in control.

The good news is that you may actually be able to reverse this with a little time, dedication, and motivation. So glad your here and I wish you well in your endeavors. You have a good group of people to help you along.

ps. sorry to get long winded. I really get into this stuff hehehe.
Bri3626

Return to Fitness Goals