Simplefit.org • View topic - Does simplefit need a face lift?

Does simplefit need a face lift?

body weight exercise community

Moderator: cheapo

Does simplefit need a face lift?

Postby Admin » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:53 am

Be honest now....
Admin
Site Admin

Postby goodluckfox » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:25 am

I don't think so. It's clean and informative. Uncluttred. Gives us what we need, doesn't bog down our connection in a bunch of java/flash garbage.
goodluckfox
Advanced Member

Postby taifun » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:59 am

I agree, I like the clean look.
taifun

Postby volleyball_man » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:46 pm

You should ask first timers.

Also - are you able to get stats on each page? If so, which are not being hit? Do you want them to be used more? Or is everyone "telling" something by their choices?

Can you get some coworkers/friends/family who haven't been to the site to give you good info?

I think that keeping people here seems to be a non-issue. Of course I don't know what you really want - number wise.

In terms of the look-feel, I think the phpBB is almost so ubiquitous that it is user friendly because we all know it well enough. The non-phpbb part could seem more closely related to the phpbb in style (just color and stuff).

Real hardcore opinions:
Take the New! off of the logging link. Call it "Chart Your Progress" or something.
Move the Community link to a separate place not on the main menu and give it a bit more of a descriptive title and prominent style - newcomers who find the phpbb late are a possible loss. The atmosphere of the people here is one of your most important items apart from the workout itself (a new person could print that and never return - not what you want).
The text on the main page could have a little formatting to bring attention to some key points: example: bold (or emphasize with different font) the no expensive equipment, pay nothing, and 15 minutes items. This might be something for the rest of the text - I haven't given it much thought.

As a frequent user of this WONDERFUL site. I go to the phpbb almost exclusively. I also jump to the workout page when I forget what I'm supposed to do.

Can you guess what I teach besides Math....?

I hope you take this in the spirit I mean it. Your site and those involved (pat myself) are doing a good thing here.
volleyball_man

Postby Admin » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:25 pm

Great suggestions.

Thanks!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby ucffool » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:03 pm

Should be able to skin phpbb with 'simplefit' green (the two shades). I'm sure that the light blue and the dark blue are just some css somewhere. That will make it feel less... disjointed.
ucffool

Postby Admin » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:05 pm

Yeah, I was just digging around for that. Please excuse me if the forum turns funny colors ;) I will probably experiment late tonight.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby goodluckfox » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:51 pm

Thanks for the warning... hate to think I was having an LSD flashback. :)
goodluckfox
Advanced Member

Postby Admin » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:38 am

O never got around to this, family was in town. I will put this on my list.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby dgkimpton » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:59 am

It needs less adverts up top - when you first hit the site it looks like nothing but an advertising page (when I first hit it I had JavaScript turned off so it seemed like a cool classy site). Just sayin...
dgkimpton

Postby Admin » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:11 am

Yeah I hear you, but I cannot run the whole thing for free... Currently it does not make enough to cover DSL. I am trying to think of good ways to generate revenue without charging admission which I am dead set against, this site will always be free. Biggest problem is the Google ads are not very relevant wish I cold choose them myself :( I would like to offer quality supplements, grassfed beef, and cool equipment. I guess as my site gets bigger advertisers can choose their site so maybe we will get better stuff.
I know the ads are annoying but that is what keeps simplefit free.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby volleyball_man » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:33 am

How many door gyms has this site sold?

Send em an email.

Get some stats together about your numbers - I think it's booming.
volleyball_man

Postby ucffool » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:20 pm

Well, since you already center stuff, it wouldn't be too bad placing the ads right-justified through css... that may help.
ucffool

Postby Admin » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:06 pm

"How many door gyms has this site sold?"

I am sure a ton but I do not make a penny off that, I should try to setup an affiliate program.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:25 pm

VBM you gave me a good idea I created a products page that lists all the stuff that I have found useful and effective with links to amazon and I will get a commission from the purchase. http://www.simplefit.org/products.html and updated my links throughout the site. If it goes well maybe I can lose some of the google ads.

Cheers!
Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to fitness community