Simplefit.org • View topic - Grass-fed Beef

Grass-fed Beef

Natural Nutrition

Moderator: cheapo

Grass-fed Beef

Postby ucffool » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:36 am

It's mentioned here, and its benefits are very clear to me especially after reading Michael Pollen's Omnivores Dilemma ( http://www.michaelpollan.com/omnivore.php ).
Even here in Colorado, I can't find a place to get it without buying a quarter. I'm no butcher, and don't have a separate freezer, so this isn't an option. So tell me, where do you get it (if you do)?
ucffool

Postby Admin » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:42 am

Here are a bunch of places in Colorado

http://www.eatwild.com/products/colorado.html
Admin
Site Admin

Postby ucffool » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:57 pm

Going through that list didn't assist me in the denver area unfortunately... I think I need a butcher moreso. I'll have to ask around at farmer's markets or something.
ucffool

Postby aussiechick » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:23 pm

This is no help to you ucffool, but it does make me realise how lucky I am to live on a cattle property where we kill our own cattle and sheep.

Must get hubby onto building a chookpen so we can have our own eggs too, much yummier and healthier.

Bec
aussiechick

Postby Admin » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:54 pm

I will ask around I am sure I can find somebody who will send smaller cuts.

Bec, that is really cool.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby brenlorken » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:09 am

Personally, if you have the room I would buy a freezer and just get a quarter. If you don't have the room perhaps you can find people in the same dilema and you could split the meat?
brenlorken

Postby Admin » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:51 pm

Yeah, I agree. Also you could cut it up and repackage in smaller pieces.
Admin
Site Admin

Local Harvest

Postby splint » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:07 am

http://www.localharvest.org/

I used this website to join a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). Basically, you buy a share in a small local family farm and you get a weekly delivery of the proceeds from the farm. My CSA includes grass-fed beef along with whole grain breads, honey, and a large variety of legumes, fruits, and vegetables.

The farm I subscribe to is nice enough to deliver directly to my door but I don't know if that's the ordinary procedure though.

Just an idea, maybe you can find something on there. The farm I chose is only 7 miles away from me and I had never heard of it.
splint

Postby Admin » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:21 am

That is pretty cool!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby agoodlysize » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:12 pm

I envy you all. I'm moving to the New York City area after I get off the road- are there any local growing co-ops/ pasture farms where I can get good meat and produce?

Aussie, if you're going to build a coop, make sure it's mobile so you can move it so that the chickens can follow the cow's grazing and clean up parasites- plus the bugs and grubs are great protein for making a more chickenier chicken. :D
agoodlysize

Postby ucffool » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:24 pm

I've had the privilege of Colorado ranchers starting in on grass fed, and now my local target stocks grass-fed, hormone free ground beef for about a dollar more than the regular stuff, and it is 91/9.
I'm very happy.
ucffool

Postby skustes » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:29 am

Typically when you buy an eighth, quarter, or half cow, it comes already cut into serving pieces, for instance you'll get (I'm making this up as I go so disregard the numbers) 25lbs of ground beef, 2 roasts, 4 steaks, 2lbs of liver if you'd like, etc. It'll be already packaged, so there's no need for you to be a butcher. The cow still has to go through a USDA certified processing plant.

I nearly bought a half cow a few months back before some things changed in my personal life and the farmer was going to send it to the butcher and the butcher was going to contact me to see how I wanted it cut up.
skustes

Return to Nutrition