Simplefit.org • View topic - Hosedragger's house of pain..

Hosedragger's house of pain..

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Postby coreman » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:46 am

Congrats, I wouldn't be too bummed out on moving up. Doing 10 straight pull ups is impressive, especially since you only started in June. It's good motivation, that's for sure.

Not moving up doesn't stop inspiration in people. Seeing your pull up progress does motivate!!!

Nice job!!!

(BTW, I just saw you are from Wyoming. We just did a family trip out there for the first time this summer. Very nice scenery, that's for sure.)
coreman

Postby Hosedragger » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:59 am

Coreman,

Thanks for the kind words. If you think Wyoming is pretty though, you must have gotten off the major roads! Good job, back at ya!
Hosedragger
Advanced Member

Postby kdo463 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:46 am

Many parts of Wyoming are gorgious. But you're right, you've got to get off of I-80 and I-25. Conversely, many parts of "Colorful Colorado" are downright dull and mind numbing. Like from my house east.
kdo463

Postby coreman » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:44 am

Hosedragger wrote:Coreman,

Thanks for the kind words. If you think Wyoming is pretty though, you must have gotten off the major roads! Good job, back at ya!

We went to go to yellowstone, so yeah, it was worth it. We stayed about 2 miles from the south entrance at Flagg Ranch. My wife has a cousin in Casper, but we didn't go out there.
coreman

9/17/07 workout

Postby Hosedragger » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:38 am

Wk. 5, L3D1, 28 rounds in 19:47. One better then last week; but that's all I have to say for it. I felt really sluggish today.

My wife beat the snot out of me: 38 rds of L2D1! Even subbing body rows she did 100 more total reps in the allotted time then I did. Nothin' wrong with her heart & lungs, I'd say. I can't wait 'till she's doing real pull-ups and push-ups so we can compare apples to apples, though. :twisted:
Hosedragger
Advanced Member

Postby kdo463 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:31 am

Wow 38 rounds! That's one of the highest I've seen here. We'll have to look through the message board, but I bet that might be close to a record for Day 1 rounds. I thought I remember hearing someone say their son did 40, but I'm not sure.

Hey, maybe we can make that a challenge. Do what ever it takes to do as many rounds as possilbe in 20 minutes. No holds barred.
kdo463

9/18/07 experiment

Postby Hosedragger » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:52 pm

I got bored at work and decided to revisit a workout that really wiped me out about 2 months ago:

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps of:

narrow grip pull-downs @ 90 lbs.
bar dips
lunges (reps doubled)

I finished in 18 minutes with energy to burn! Simple fit rocks! I think I'll try an experiment. I'm going to stay completely away from weights for the next 6 weeks. At the end of that time, I'm going to test my 1 RM in the dead-lift, squat and push press. I'm betting I'll be stronger then I am now, without lifting any iron between now and then.
Hosedragger
Advanced Member

Postby ucffool » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:29 pm

I think you are right... though I suggest taking a week before the 'test' to rest your whole upper body and let your muscles reset... this past week with only a 1 hour yoga class (still kicked my ass) pushing my muscles, I came back feeling a lot better.
ucffool

9/19/07 workout

Postby Hosedragger » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:13 pm

Andy,

I agree about rest.. I'm already looking forward to my next rest week. I have no one to blame but myself. If I would only take my own advice about over-training and stop working out 3 days in a row.. well, I hope it doesn't take an injury to slow me down to a sustainable pace.

Despite all the good sense I just made.. I worked out today. For the third day in a row. :oops: Well, what was I supposed to do; just watch while my wife worked out?! Inconceivable!

L3D2: 6:06 I decided to try hindu push-ups and squats. Yep, they were harder. I'm not sure I like the squats. My knees make ominous crackling and popping sounds when I do them. It doesn't hurt or anything.. but I'm a little scared they might fly apart and splatter the garage walls with synovial fluid and cartilage. :twisted:

The wife did L2D2 in 5:36. Still no unassisted pull-ups, but boy can she hammer out the bodyrows. In addition, 15 of her 40 total pushups were the real deal, and all squats were done while holding the ball of death. I amused myself by calling her 'Mistress of the death ball'. :lol: She loves that. :roll: Anyway, I think she's going to stay at this level until she can do one pull-up (or perhaps jump chins) and real push-ups. But she goes back in forth, so stay tuned.

Oh, we're both on week 5 of our respective levels.
Hosedragger
Advanced Member

Postby taifun » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:53 pm

Well done both of you.

Re: Hindu squats.: I've done a lot of those in the past, and they've never caused me any knee problems, quite to the contrary I believe they've actually improved my knees.
taifun

Postby kdo463 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:42 am

Great workouts. Good times.

Are hindu squats kinda like sumo squats? Can you do them with only two arms? :lol: Just kidding.
kdo463

9/21/07 workout

Postby Hosedragger » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:13 pm

wk. 5, L3D3, test day: (drumroll, maestro) 4:45!! Moving up to L4, but not before 1, maybe even 2, rest weeks. My forearms and elbows are dampening the pleasure I find in finally vanquishing L3. Next week I plan to walk, do some light interval training and do core work.

Keith, to answer your question, I don't need another set of arms to do hindu squats, but I could use another set for the @!#& pullups!

Wife did L2D3, subbing bodyrows 3 to 1, all pushups modified, squats as rx'd in 3:36. I don't think she even sweats anymore on test day. 'Course, she's constantly reminding me that ladies don't 'sweat'; they 'glow'. :? To which I usually respond, dryly, 'well you're glowing all over the floor, honey'. :lol:
Hosedragger
Advanced Member

Postby ucffool » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:52 pm

that's funny, I don't care what anyone says. 2 points!
ucffool

Postby Hosedragger » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:11 am

First day of the so-called rest week before I tackle L4.

Decided to do a greatly abbreviated version of the 'filthy fifty'. Mine sucked too. Here it is:

25 box jumps (in my case, the 2nd step up from the basement, about 16")
25 burpees
25 situps, feet hooked under the couch, over the swiss ball.
25 tuck jumps
25 back extensions
20 'T' push-ups
30 squats
25 mod. HSPU's (feet on the couch, butt in the air, hands on the floor, lower body until head touches the floor, push-up)

I was planning to do a second set of burpees at the end (ha, ha, ha) but that proved to be wildly optimistic. Including rest periods, 23:29.
Hosedragger
Advanced Member

Postby taifun » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:06 am

rest week....
taifun

PreviousNext

Return to workouts