Simplefit.org • View topic - Read any good fitness books lately?

Read any good fitness books lately?

body weight exercise community

Moderator: cheapo

Read any good fitness books lately?

Postby aussiechick » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:25 am

I love reading fitness books for inspiration. Does anyone have any recommendations for good ones, especially any that tie in with what we are doing here - bodyweight workouts etc.

I've not long finished reading John Berardi's The Metabolism Advantage which was interesting. Can't say I liked everything he said but he did convince me to start taking fish oil capsules.

And I've just started on The New Rules of Lifting by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove. I'm only about 80 pages in but so far they seem to be making sense.

So whats everybody like reading?
aussiechick

Postby volleyball_man » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:31 am

Total Immersion

If you swim - this book is a requirement.
volleyball_man

Postby Admin » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:32 am

Yes take that fish oil better in liquid form :( but some does not taste so bad and maybe check out a good magnesium citrate.

About the best nutrition book I have ever read is "Protein Power lifespan": Michael and Marie Eaded M.D.

For training

http://www.startingstrength.com/ (coach rip at crossfit)

Starting Strength is a unique approach to coaching weight training, written by coaches and designed specifically for training beginners. Learn how to effectively and safely coach the basic core lifts and their programming in an easy to do,step-by-step process. Featuring the most heavily illustrated exercise chapters in print, Starting Strength shows the reader not only how to teach the lifts, but how to recognize and correct technique errors. The book features flip animations of each exercise performed correctly, along with practical interpretations of coaching theory, and the anatomical,physiological, and mechanical principles of training. It will help prepare coaches and personal trainers to be more effective strength and conditioning professionals.

http://www.rosstraining.com/nevergymless.html (awesome body weight stuff)

Never Gymless is dedicated to home-based workouts which negate the need for a fully equipped gym.

Learn about bodyweight exercise for strength, endurance, and speed. Supplemental exercises with resistance bands are also included, as well as a simplified nutritional strategy for lifelong health and athletic performance.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bri3626 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:15 pm

It's kind of odd but I got a book as a gift that I would never have thought would be all that interesting. It's more of an inspirational type book about fitness.

One xmas my sister in law bought me a book called Fitness is Religion. It's written by Madonna's personal trainer. I'm not a big fan of personal trainers to the stars per se but this is actually a pretty good read.

Pretty impressed with the material girl too and her take on it. She is pretty dam fit too which most folks don't realize.
Bri3626

Postby aussiechick » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:08 pm

Thanks guys I will be checking all these out, can be a bit hard to find good fitness books in Aus I usually end up having to order from the US.

Kevin I loved Protien Power so guess I'd better try and get a copy of the Lifespan book.

I agree Madonna is one fit chick! I love seeing women with a bit of muscle showing but am constantly amazed that most women I know don't like that look at all, its not feminine blah blah.
aussiechick

Postby ucffool » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:27 pm

What is the cost to ship a book from the US to down-under?
ucffool

Postby aussiechick » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:25 pm

Well I bought the last couple through deepdiscount.com along with some DVDs and it worked out to be about US$2.00 per item I think. Would be dearer if I had to just buy one book from a single vendor though for sure, that why sites like deepdiscount are such a godsend for me.

Bec
aussiechick

Postby taifun » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:27 am

I agree with Kevin on Ross Enamait's stuff. I only have the previous version "Underground Guide to Warrior Fitness" which is excellent. I'm considering getting "Never Gymless" but I've decided to hold off on any new fitness books for a while. Less reading, more doing!

On the other hand I can recommend Stretching Scientifically by Thomas Kurz. It's rather a hard read, but it contains everything you need to know on stretching.

Did anybody ever read this?
taifun

Postby volleyball_man » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:07 am

Another good read:

Peace is Every Step, by Thich Nhat Hanh

The principles in this book easily fit a good workout/progress plan.
volleyball_man

Return to fitness community