Simplefit.org • View topic - Keith's Log

Keith's Log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Postby kdo463 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:36 pm

Rest week:

This weekend I did some GTG on pull ups. Each day I managed to get in about 5 sets of 6 to 8 pull ups each. I noticed each set I did got a tiny bit easier. Cool.

This will be difficult to maintain during the week since I can't really do pull ups in the office. I should be able to do at least 3 sets each day while I'm a home, though.

This rest week is nice for the rest, but man, I'm fired up to do some more intense workouts. Maybe that means I really don't need the rest (?) I decided next week I'll repeat Level 4 and add some weight. I'll wear a backpack with a couple dumbbell weights and make it a little heavier on Day 2.
kdo463

Postby kdo463 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:12 pm

Still rest week. I'm doing about 3 sets a day of pull ups, sometimes I crank out 7 or 8, some time I do ladders. I can only ladder to 5 reps, but that's 15 total, so still good.

This week the calluses on my hands are starting to bother me. They don't hinder the pull ups, but hurt as soon as I jump down from the bar. I think I'm gonna have to file them down and maybe put something on them to soften them up to prevent ripping. That would be bad.
kdo463

Postby naples378 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:15 pm

WW= windshield wipers: lie on back legs straight up( either hold wieghts like a bench press move or grab under armoir) then lower them to sides
got this from mens health 300 workout

EW= evil wheel; wheel w/two handles roll out & back

Both are good ab exercises.
naples378
Advanced Member

Postby Urup » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:12 pm

If you like the 300 workout check out Gym Jones..

http://www.gymjones.com/

They are responsible for the 300 workout and got lots of other great workouts like it.. :)

but remember.. don't forget your simplefit! :wink:
Urup

Postby Admin » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:06 am

Yeah good stuff Mark Twight aka "gym jones" was a crosfit disciple for a long time.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby kdo463 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:18 am

Ahh yeah. The evil wheel. That's for the definitions, Naples.

The 300 workout looks interesting too. With subs, of course, for the tractor tire and other equipment specific exercises. I'd eventually like to incorporate some of that stuff into my program too.

That Gym Jones website is pretty intense. Amazing what they do. I wonder how many times a day they have to mop their floors.
kdo463

Postby Admin » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:21 pm

Sand bags are a great cheap alternative for flipping dragging rolling stuff.
Also go to a big flat parking lot and push your car around or tie a rope to your bumper and pull it, there are opportunities everywhere just don't scare your neighbors :P
Admin
Site Admin

Question

Postby kdo463 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:29 am

I just came off a rest week and am ready to hit the ground running. Gonna repeat Level 4 this week.

:?:
Question: If I want to try the burpee challenge (100 for time), which of the three days would be the best to do it?

Day 1?

I'd probably not be able to do the regular workout after that -- maybe some pull ups. That's why I ask.
kdo463

Postby Hosedragger » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:55 am

Speaking just for myself, here. I'd take all three days to do the 100 burpees! :lol:

Good luck.
Hosedragger
Advanced Member

Postby kdo463 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:47 am

Back at it this week. So I actually ended up taking almost two weeks off. We had company on and off and things got pretty busy. I did manage to keep the pull ups going with random GTG sets though.

So Monday I did the 100 Burpee Challenge in 17:58. Sets of 10 while my son was watching Return of the Jedi. Then 2x7 pull ups. Yesterday I could feel it my chest and ribs just below the arm pits.

Today I did 2x7 pullups.
Ran a 5K in 30:06. Very hilly route this time, so I'm considering at least on par with last time. It had been a while since my last run anyways.
Then finished off with 6 pull ups as slow as possible.
kdo463

Postby kdo463 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:54 am

I got confused and off track after so much time off, so I decided to start again at Day 1 on Monday. Not sure if I should call this Week 5, or Week 7 to include the rest time.

Anyway, this was Monday:
L4D1: 27 rounds + my typical ab routine.

Same numbers as last time, but BIG difference. This time I squatted all the way down. Butt to heels. Man-o-man that was tough. Still today my glutes and thighs ache. Stairs are painful.
I did notice that the 2 pull ups each round were very easy. I guess the GTG paid off. :) Maybe I need to add weights now. I think for Day 2 today, I'll concentrate on upper body and keep it light on the sore legs.
kdo463

Postby kdo463 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:39 am

Yesterday was L4D2

I did the 4 pull ups and 20 squats each round with a 10# packback, and the 12 push ups with feet on a 15" bucket. I wasn't going for time and, in fact, didn't time it at all. However, that amount of relaxation allowed me to lose track of which round I was on. I think I did all 5. :wink: I was still sore from Monday too, so I guess it was good to take it easy.

The good thing is that my garage is much cleaner. I straightend things out during the rest breaks. You can actually see that I have a work bench now.
kdo463

Postby kdo463 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:26 am

Friday we headed out of town for the weekend and I didn't get a chance to do L4D3, but I did have about 30 seconds to spare while we were packing to test my pull up max. 13 this time before the form really suffered. 8) That's up one from last time!

I was able to catch up last night then. L4D3: 4:42 :!: Then 2 sets of L's and 1 set of 20 bicycle crunches.

So, that's over a minute faster than the last L4D3, which is quite impressive. But what confuses me is I fealt like I was in worse shape. It was much more of a struggle. The sets were smaller even though the overall time was better, and I was completely spent. Didn't have much extra energy to finish my normal ab routine afterwards. Maybe it was something I ate (or didn't eat) I'll have to pay more attention to that.

It's definitely autumn here in Colorado. Getting cold and foggy. My garage is starting to cool down quite a bit. I may have to get a big space heater to keep up these workouts.

Okay, so I'm thinking I'll move along to Level 5 for next week. It will be a bit more challenging in itself, but I feel its time to add something to the routine. Not sure what exactly. Maybe one or two full body exercises. I guess since I would like to add some Crossfit stuff eventually, I should do something that will lead into the Olympic lifts. Time to dust off my dumbells.
kdo463

Postby ucffool » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:10 pm

I feel you on the colder weather... grats on the time and progress to L5!
ucffool

Postby kdo463 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:06 am

Man it is sooo hard to get back into the swing of things after taking time off. Finally forced myself last night.

2 mile run in 16:21
L5D1: 16 rounds

The run felt really good. The pace was faster than usual, but I was able to keep going. It was pretty cold out, so it took a while to get all the joints warmed up. And of course when I was done, I would cough for several hours. Why is that?

I took the Simplefit workout at an easy pace. I knew the extra few reps each round were going to make it tough by the end. Maybe the rests between rounds were a little longer than they should have been, but I was still catching my breath from the run.

I think I irritated my knee doing those full range of motion squats last week. I've got this pain and clicking especially going down stairs. I took some ibuprofen and raised the leg after the workout last night and it seemed better.
kdo463

PreviousNext

Return to workouts