Simplefit.org • View topic - Door Gym

Door Gym

body weight exercise community

Moderator: cheapo

Door Gym

Postby thrope » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:20 am

Hi,

I bought a Door Gym, unfortunately I couldn't find a Creative Fitness one here in the UK (not on amazon.co.uk and US amazon won't ship to UK), so I found this on ebay and it arrived today:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190136879096&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=009

I'm a bit disappointed though... Turns out it's a product called an 'EZ Up'.

Firstly, it only has parallel bars whereas the picture on the listing clearly shows a horizontal bar.
The other main problem is that when the lip is over the top of the door frame on the other side of the door, the bars sit way too low in the door frame, at about my shoulder height. Even if I tuck my knees I couldn't get a dead hang without hitting the floor.

Anyway I think I have a case for sending it back because of the misleading picture, but I wanted to check with people whether its worth doing that, or if they're all like this. I guess I can make do as it is. I thought I could use the horizontal fixing bar to grip, but then I think theres no cantilever anymore and all the weight would be on the door frame on the opposite side.
I could always fix something on myself to make a horizontal bar at the front. I saw creative fitness do a broad reach adaptor - so I wondered if the door gym was the same as this and you had to buy the extra part. Also if that part would fit mine (although it doesn't help much because I still can't get it in the UK!)

The most annoying thing though is the height... in all the pictures it is right at the top of the door, but this just slips down from there until it hits the door frame. Would this be the same with the real 'Door Gym'?

What do others do? Any advice greatfully received...

Cheers,

Robin
thrope

Postby thrope » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:32 am

Also, I just found this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Powerbar-Professional-chin-pull-up-bar-chinning_W0QQitemZ130141888628QQihZ003QQcategoryZ28065QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

which looks a lot better (proper bar with good height) but I was worried about the fact your forearms lean against the second cantilever bar. Do people think this would be a problem? Has anyone used one of these?

I guess if I can get away with returning the EZ up I will order one of these.
thrope

Postby Darrel » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:15 am

Yeah, that auction pic is a little misleading. It shows the optional wide-grip bar that attaches onto the parallel grips. You can do a proper pullup by placing your hands just outside the parallel grips but you're right, its not nearly as secure due to the lack of cantilever. This is pretty much the setup I have and I'm starting to notice the limitations. I think that you probably have a good case for a refund due to the pic.

That Powerbar looks pretty good though, I may look into that for myself.
Darrel

Postby taifun » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:46 am

I've gone with this model. Haven't recieved it yet, but will let you know how it works out. I looked at the powerbar as well, but couldn't find a vendor that shipped outside the UK.
taifun

Postby alquemy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:35 am

I just found this online:

http://www.pullupbar.com/

Costs a lot more, but it looks like it works real well. As you'll see, they have a bunch of other kinds on the site. AND all with lifetime guarantees!
alquemy

Postby Admin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:47 am

fwiw I have heard they make really solid products.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby thrope » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:38 am

So I returned the EZ Up thing and got the powerbar model from
http://www.powertrainer.co.uk/

It's really great - really good height, solid, packs away small and flat.

Only thing is bar is a little narrow for me and hurt my hands a bit. I think if I get some grip tape like for racket handles or handlebars I can make the bar thicker and more comfortable.

Anyway highly recommended.

The same people sell gravity/inversion boots which looked fun - has anyone ever used these?

These people will ship it internationally
http://www.boysstuff.co.uk/product.asp?id=12945&random=&cid=&src=Search
but I guess with shipping and exchange rates it might not be so attractive.
thrope

Postby Admin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:19 am

I think those are less available because of all the neck injury lawsuits be very carefull!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby taifun » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:37 pm

taifun wrote:I've gone with this model. Haven't recieved it yet, but will let you know how it works out. I looked at the powerbar as well, but couldn't find a vendor that shipped outside the UK.

Got the Everlast tonight. Have put it together, but haven't yet found a suitable door. My house is rather old, and the door frames are not quite standard. They're either too deep, or it's too close between the top of the door and the ceiling. Will be thinking hard about what to do...
taifun

Postby thrope » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:42 am

Admin wrote:I think those are less available because of all the neck injury lawsuits be very carefull!

Is that because hanging upside down is inherently a dangerous position or because of people falling on their heads?

Just curious... I've no plans to get one for the forseeable future; I just thought they looked fun!
thrope

Postby splint » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:30 pm

Personally, I have fun looking for places where I can do pull-ups "in the wild". I think the difference in bar thickness and textures that I find helps in some small way.
splint

RE: Power Trainer

Postby Power_Trainer » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:27 am

Hi Everyone.

I'm in charge of marketing for the PowerTrainer, so if you would like me to answer any questions just give me an e-mail on tom@tri-synergy.co.uk or post something on here.

Please note that the Power Trainer is available on eBay, and is also currently known as the Powerbar.

Also any feedback on the website would be greatly appreciated.

Tom Hicks - Marketing Manager - Powertrainer.
Power_Trainer

Postby Admin » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:10 am

PowerTrainer looks cool I would like to check it out, just sent you an email.
Admin
Site Admin

Return to fitness community