Simplefit.org • View topic - First, get a cheap charcoal smoker...

First, get a cheap charcoal smoker...

Natural Nutrition

Moderator: cheapo

First, get a cheap charcoal smoker...

Postby Hosedragger » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:20 pm

... and light that sucker up. Then, go buy a lean cut of beef, I recommend london broil, about 3 lbs. worth. Rub that gorgeous hunk o' red meat all over with the seasonings of your choice. I used a standard steak grilling mix available at Sam's Club.

When the charcoal is well-lit, put a shallow pan of water on the grill above the coals, and the london broil on the top grill. Keep the fire going for about 3 - 4 hours, depending on how well-done you like your beef.

You can enjoy this several ways. You can eat it hot off the grill along with grilled veges (onions, peppers, asparagus seem to work best and aren't starchy) or, you can cool it down in the fridge and slice it thin the next day and use it in salads, low-carb wraps, vege soups, you get the idea. This evening I sliced up:

1/2 head of cabbage
1 green pepper
1/2 red onion
a few handfulls of sliced mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium zucchini,
salt & pepper to taste

Use a generous dollop of canola oil in a large frying pan, and sautee the veges over medium heat until the cabbage is tender. Cover the pan if need be, to keep everything from drying out or burning on the bottom. The cabbage seems to take the longest so put it in the pan first. Then, in the last 5 minutes or so, dice up some of your smoked beef, and add it to the veges. You don't want to cook the beef or dry it out, just warm it up a little. You'll find the smoked meat adds a lot of flavor to the vegetables. Enjoy.
Hosedragger
Advanced Member

Postby Admin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:14 pm

Wow, and I really like London broil that is the same as top round right?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Hosedragger » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:37 pm

Yes, I believe you're right. But the important thing, from paleo principles, is get a nice lean cut. But then, I guess I don't have to tell you that! Sorry. Anyway, eye of round should work just as well, and maybe even brisket if you trim it up first.
Hosedragger
Advanced Member

Postby Admin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:01 pm

I like the top round because it is a little tough and chewy I will try that the butcher shop by my house has grass fed top round and it is really flavorful.

Thanks for sharing this great info!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby taifun » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:04 pm

Whoa Kevin, you're up late?

Good recipe, need to try it out fairly soon.
taifun

Postby Admin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:19 pm

Yeah I was discussing a neat email function with Andy that would allow you guys to email workout challenges/invites to friends.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby agoodlysize » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:51 pm

For those of you without a charcoal smoker, try Alton Brown's Cardboard Box Smoker. Works like gangbusters.
agoodlysize

Return to Nutrition