Simplefit.org • View topic - Newbie with questions

Newbie with questions

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Newbie with questions

Postby huskers2207 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:48 am

First, great site. Love the workouts! I have a bunch of questions---sorry! Been on SF for 3 weeks now at level 6. I started there and need some help. Question 1: what is a good substitute for handstand pushups? Question 2: How long do I stay with level 6 before I move up? Question 3: What are most of you doing in between your workout days? Question 4: How long do you take off between the weeks? Again, sorry for all the questions I am sure I will have more. Thanks!!!
huskers2207

Postby splint » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:51 am

I've only been doing it for 3 weeks myself but for handstand pushups, I find a bar or bench or something like that around 4.5 to 5 feet high. Then I hook the tops of my feet over it and do handstand pushups using my legs to take some of the weight off. I like this set-up because towards the end of your reps you can tighten the muscles in your legs to take more weight off and do more reps to failure.
splint

Postby aussiechick » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:33 pm

Hi Huskers and welcome!

The general idea is once you can do your Day 3 workouts, including rest time, in less than 5 minutes its time to level up.

You do three weeks of workouts then 1 rest week, where you back off a few levels or just generally take it easier, then 3 weeks again.

Some of us are doing cardio on off days, stretching is always good. Kevin has posted some running workouts http://www.simplefit.org/phpbb/viewtopi ... highlight= and tabatas are popular.

Listen to your body and do what feels right for you.

Bec
aussiechick

Postby ucffool » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:38 pm

On my off days I don't workout. I do some extra walking after my workouts as a cool-down and calorie burner. All the above answers are accurate and good advice. I workout T, Th, Su for 3 weeks, then my 'rest week' varies.
ucffool

Postby huskers2207 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:55 pm

Thanks for all the insight. Additionally, what are some substitutes for the inverted pullup (no clue how to do it) and the handstand pushup (hurts shoulder)? I am beginning week three at level 6 tomorrow and it includes these two and I am not sure how to sub for them.
huskers2207

Postby splint » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:35 pm

An inverted pull-up is where you have your feet pointing straight up while your hanging upside down from a bar (or rings) then you pull up (or down maybe?) as far as you can. Inverted pull-up substitutions? hmm, I'm not sure of any except holding dumbells at your sides and lifting them straight up. That'd be kind of the same movement but I can't imagine any bodyweight modifications for that exercise.

Other substitutions for HSPUs (hand stand pushups) are standing dumbbell shoulder presses (recommended by Crossfit) or other shoulder presses. But if you have pain in the shoulder I don't know what to recommend, the shoulder is a complicated joint.
Last edited by splint on Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
splint

Postby taifun » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:08 pm

If your shoulder hurts, see a (sports) doc.

As for subs, HSPUs are basically regular PU with extra weight and balance requrements. The weight can be provided by vests or similar, but the balance component is hard to sub. Anyone?

Disclaimer: I've never done a single HSPU in my life :o
taifun

Postby Arthur » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:29 am

Is there a meaningful physiological distinction between pressing in front and pressing overhead? For that matter, is there one between pulling from the front and pulling from overhead? Or is it just a matter of the degree of resistance?
Arthur

Postby splint » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:32 am

Arthur wrote:Is there a meaningful physiological distinction between pressing in front and pressing overhead? For that matter, is there one between pulling from the front and pulling from overhead? Or is it just a matter of the degree of resistance?

Oh, they are both very different from each other. The bench press or push-up targets mainly the chest (pectoralis muscles) with synergistic muscles such as the triceps and shoulders playing a part. The overhead press (or hand stand push-ups) targets the anterior deltoid (shoulder muscle) and bunch of other synergistic muscles including the triceps, lateral deltoid, and trapezius muscles (upper back/neck area), but not much of the chest muscles at all.

The seated row, bent over row, or pulling from the front brings all the back muscles into play not really targeting any one muscle and the movement is really pulling the elbows back. The pull-down, pull-up, chin-up, or pulling from overhead really targets the latissimus dorsi (lats), the muscles that give you that nice V look and involves pulling the elbows down.
splint

Postby Arthur » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:39 am

I had toyed with the idea of making Day 1 "horizontal day" (body rows and pushups) and making Day 2 "vertical day" (pullups and dumbbell presses) but I decided I was thinking too hard. I'm Level One--Level One!--just do it!
Arthur

Return to fitness training