• View topic - Jon's Greetings and Goals

Jon's Greetings and Goals

body weight Fitness Goals

Moderator: cheapo

Jon's Greetings and Goals

Postby green_monkey » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:22 pm

Hello all.

I've been lurking on the site for quite a while now, I got here by way of a friend who works out regularly and every once and a while attempts a crossfit wod and occasionally hobbles into work only able to mutter something about 'tabata' or 'thrusters'. Had a gander at xfit...bit back a cry of fear...and immediately googled for a scaled version :D.

The missus has had me on a Weight Watchers style diet since mid August, and the desk jockey flab is pretty much gone (205 down to about 180-85, holding steady-ish about 3 weeks now) and I've known for a bit that the only thing to keep me this way and improve is exercise. I'd rather exercise towards the sort of fitness that's self perpetuating and useful rather than a constant "How heavy am I this week?", so here I am.

DoorGym has been purchased and assembled and tested, turns out I can still do about 3-4 pullups with some heavy kipping before the arms want to mutiny, a 5th can be ordered by the cap'n then the saber rattling starts. I can do one from a dead hang, fully static, then the legs are pumping as soon as the hang is no longer 'dead'...if that makes sense? What's the consensus on kipping? Is that a sub (i.e. do it x3) or a fair pullup?

So, the goal portion of the post: tomorrow morning will be L1D1. I'd like to be beyond L5 in the new year. I generally respond pretty well to exercise (we were kept very active as kids), so I'm optimistic I'll manage advancing level a week for at least a month. MWF for simplefit progression then situps, L-sits (har har I think I managed 5 seconds hanging from the DoorGym this morning) and leg lifts till I can't for TTh. Weekends for R&R.

Sorry for the novel, and thanks to Mr. Mckay for a great site!

Postby splint » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:48 pm

Welcome! I think your goal sounds reasonable. I just completed my first week of L5 and I started in the beginning of August so, well, crap it's November already, I was going to say it's about the same amount of time. Oh well, still. Good Luck.

Postby ucffool » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:58 pm

L5 may be a bit ambitious, I forsee L3 with good time/form by new year.

Kipping is a personal choice, but Kevin has regularly pointed out that you can do 2x's the kipping as the non-kipping, so we try to do simplefit without it. Now, this may vary for you depending on the rest of the workout, but hey.. let's see how L1D1 goes. :) Cheers, and welcome!

Postby green_monkey » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:32 am

Dead weight pullups it is then.

This morning went well I think: 22 rounds, the first 8 were straight pullups (which surprised me), 9-10 introduced kipping, 11-22 were 3x jumping pullups. That being said, it's the squats that got me. Stairs are not my friend today. :roll:

Off to start a thread in the logs.

Postby Admin » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:38 pm

Nice work!
Site Admin

Return to Fitness Goals