Simplefit.org • View topic - Newbie questions...

Newbie questions...

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Newbie questions...

Postby tkbslc » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:04 pm

I just did my first simplefit today. I am impressed at how much it kicked my butt! I did the day 2 workout because I only had a few minutes today to workout. I have a few questions:

Do you normally warm up with some cardio? I did a moderate intensity 1.25 mile run before the workout.

Should you do the workouts in order? i.e. day 1 before day 2 before day 3?

Does anyone add on "real" weight training before/after these workouts

I did my first L1D2 workout in a little over 4 minutes. Faster than I thought, but the level of difficulty/intensity was much higher than I imagined. I literally almost puked on my last pushup set! Looking forward to killing level 10 in the future!
tkbslc

Postby rob » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:53 pm

hey i know you. your from BT. im "comet the dog" over there i bet we find lots of us jumping over here.
im sure you will get the answers you want. this group i full of info.
rob

Postby splint » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:11 am

hey tkbslc,

I do usually warm up. I used to do light jogging on the treadmill or a bit on the elliptical machine but then I saw Greg Amundson's warm-up on Crossfit and decided to borrow a lot of that. The more I read the more I start to believe that range of motion warm-ups are probably better for the full-body and high intensity workouts like simplefit and crossfit. I think I feel more warmed up after doing something like the link above rather than light jogging. So, just some information for you to digest and try out for yourself.

As far as the order of the workouts, I'm not going to answer, I've always done them in order and since Day 3 is a "Test" day, I imagine you'd want to do that last but I dunno. Each of the days has a different focus.

When I first started Simplefit, I was actually sick of the gym routine. I used Simplefit to get out of the gym. I went to the park in the morning and didn't step foot in the gym for about 6 weeks. I saw huge gains just from the Simplefit program and that motivations actually increased my enthusiasm for weight training again. So I have added some weight-training now but only big complex lifts like deadlifts, bench presses, overhead presses, power cleans, bent over barbell rows and squats. So, I think you would do fine with Simplefit alone (I did) but I do include weight training now mainly because I enjoy it. But trash the barbell curls and tricep extensions and leg extensions, they're a waste of time, if you're doing big lifts with big muscles, all your small muscles will come along for the ride.

Good Luck
splint

Postby volleyball_man » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:45 am

I agree with splint. I do a slow, steady 3 - 5 minutes in the stationary bike just to get the blood moving. Next I do the CFWU but I add a lot of arm and leg swings/circles. The SquatRx videos on YouTube have some good ROM stuff too.
volleyball_man

Postby saling4 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:58 am

Can't get away this easy "rob". Just found this place and I am looking forward to the challenge.
saling4
Advanced Member

Postby rob » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:17 pm

saling4 wrote:Can't get away this easy "rob". Just found this place and I am looking forward to the challenge.
nooooooo! why cant you just leave me alone. i cant get away even when i go in undercover.
rob

Postby Admin » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:28 pm

rob wrote:hey i know you. your from BT. im "comet the dog" over there i bet we find lots of us jumping over here.

If you do not mind me asking what is BT?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby splint » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:03 pm

If my super secret Google sleuthing abilities are still honed, then I would guess it's http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/

Google will be the death of us all.
splint

Postby rob » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:10 pm

yup, beginnertriathlete. sorry i didnt elaborate
rob

Postby tkbslc » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:33 pm

Admin wrote:
rob wrote:hey i know you. your from BT. im "comet the dog" over there i bet we find lots of us jumping over here.

If you do not mind me asking what is BT?

Beginnertriathlete.com - one of the larger triathlete communities. There was a big thread about crossfit and a couple people mentioned simplefit.org as a good basic crossfit-type workout. I am pretty sure that a few hundred people saw that reference over there, so I am sure at least a few of us will pop over here.
tkbslc

Postby Admin » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:58 am

Cool well feel free to spread the word the more the merrier!

Cheers
Admin
Site Admin

How to structure the workouts

Postby kieron » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:42 am

Hi,

I'm a fat, hypertensive 44 yr old newbie (with a bad back) who wants to see fifty. There are some great ideas here but I'm a bit unsure of how to fit it all together. Here are my questions :

1. How many times a week can I workout ?
2. Where does cardio ( or "metcon" ) fit in ? Is it after the circuits or can it be on a seperate day ?
3. Could I work some core stability moves such as plank,bridge etc into the circuits ?
4. Both here and on crossfit 400m seems the most common running unit, why is this ?

Apologies if some of this seems a bit dumb, but I'd really like to do this.

Thanks

K
kieron

Re: How to structure the workouts

Postby splint » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:57 am

1. How many times a week can I workout ?

The prescribed program is 3 times per week. The first 5 or 6 weeks I started Simplefit, this was all I did. I do some type of exercise 6 days a week now, maybe some deadlifts on the off days and things like that, yoga. I take one of the weekend days off completely. If I'm pressed for time, I'll simply just do the Simplefit program at a minimum.
2. Where does cardio ( or "metcon" ) fit in ? Is it after the circuits or can it be on a seperate day ?

I'm sure other people can give you more specifics about high intensity and sprint intervals and such but on Days 1 and 3 in the workout, my heart is racing hard. I don't look for extra cardio but I do go out for a 6 mile run on the weekend for enjoyment. Other people follow the simplefit running program posted somewhere here. Fit it in whenever it works for you I'd say.
3. Could I work some core stability moves such as plank,bridge etc into the circuits ?

I do additional workouts and exercises now, after 15 weeks of the Simplefit Program, I do them after I do the Simplefit Program and on alternating days.
4. Both here and on crossfit 400m seems the most common running unit, why is this ?

Well, besides being one lap around a track, I think this type of training does not incorporate long endurance running/cardio as that really saps strength. The cardio comes from the high intensity aspect of the power movements and sprinting 400m as fast as possible. Sprinting benefits endurance running but endurance running does not benefit sprinting, so the theory is why run for endurance?
Apologies if some of this seems a bit dumb, but I'd really like to do this.

No need to apologize, this type of exercise program is quite different from the usual routines people have been taught. It's tought to transition from the standard workout routines everyone does to something like this. The main reason I stuck with Simplefit is results. I haven't always done it as prescrived but I adapt and modify my workouts to a style that works for me.
Last edited by splint on Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
splint

Postby Admin » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:09 am

Great feedback thanks Splint!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby kieron » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:39 am

Thanks Splint. That's really helped.

Regards,

K
kieron

Next

Return to fitness training