Simplefit.org • View topic - Home Workout Additions: Heavy Bag and Chin-up Bar

Home Workout Additions: Heavy Bag and Chin-up Bar

body weight exercise community

Moderator: cheapo

Home Workout Additions: Heavy Bag and Chin-up Bar

Postby splint » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:46 pm

Ok, I'm on vacation for few more days so I thought I'd do some of the things I had on my to-do list.

Number one was to bring back my old heavybag from my dad's since I was visiting this weekend.

Number Two was to install a semi-permanent chin-up bar. For home, I had been using the Door Gym, and it's a great piece of equipment for it's intended purposes. The downside for me is that I tend to bang my elbows and the door way in the basement I have to use it on needs to stay shut because of pets. So I can't leave it up. Also, there's a drain pipe I bang my head on if I'm overzealous. Also, it's not quite as wide as I'd like it. Here's the chin-up bar I installed. It's about 48" across which is perfect and plenty of headroom.

I don't have real floor beams, they're plywood I-beams. So I just ruipped some 2x4 to place in between them. Eventually I'll secure the 2x4's but for now they're just up there resting on the bottom of the I-beam. They're pretty tight but once I'm sure where I want the bar, I'll screw them into the plywood just to keep them still. If you're curious as to the set up here's a closer pic:

It's 1" pipe. So starting from the 2x4, you've got a flange, 10" nipple, coupler, 3" nipple, 90 degree elbow. Then the 48" pipe just screws into the elbows on each side. depending on the size of the nipples you get you can adjust the height. The flanges are attached with regular old 1/4" hex bolts 2 1/2" long, except for one 2" bolt that must have been in the wrong bin.

Next purchase is rings to attach to the bar once I find a permanent home.
splint

Postby durvish » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:47 am

very nice! what's that exposed ground wire in the bottom pic for?
durvish

Postby splint » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:10 am

durvish wrote:what's that exposed ground wire in the bottom pic for?

nah, that's not a ground wire, it's copper tubing to carry water to the refrigerator.
splint

Postby tkbslc » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:58 am

Nice setup!. Why did you need the couplers, couldn't you just have run a 16" Pipe straight outta the flange on the 2x4?
tkbslc

Postby splint » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:30 am

tkbslc wrote:Why did you need the couplers, couldn't you just have run a 16" Pipe straight outta the flange on the 2x4?

You don't need the couplers but they make connecting everything easier. In addition I couldn't get anything longer than the 10" section of threaded pipe so I needed the couplers so the bar wasn't so close to the ceiling. Also, with the smaller 3" sections, I could quickly switch to moving the bar very close to the ceiling for when I wanted to practice muscle-ups with rings.

So in summation, not necessary but more versatile and user-friendly.
splint

Return to fitness community