Simplefit.org • View topic - TheChange08 Goals

TheChange08 Goals

body weight Fitness Goals

Moderator: cheapo

TheChange08 Goals

Postby Thechange08 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:12 am

Hey board wuts going on, my name is Jerry and i weigh 245 currently and i'm 5 foot 7 um i was 260 but i was able to bring it down in a month. My goal is to be down between 190 and 185 by June if it happens earlier then it does. I have currently cut out Fried Food, Soda, and Fast food. I've been strictly drinking water, and cutting my food portions in almost half. I'm a waiter at Chili's so it's Tempting as HELL!!! sometimes smelling all that food, but i figure i have been doing it for a month and a 1/2 i can keep on doing it.

Gym Routine:
I've been going 5 days a week. I do 30 min. on the elliptical at about medium intensity to warm up about 4.5 to 5.0 mph. Then i do weight lifting i rotate a body part every day.. I like to do Triceps and Biceps in one day though. And i do abs everytime I go.. I know i can lift a lot more weight than i do, but i do light weights, and try to do about 25 to 30 reps of each body part to tone, not to build (Because that would make no sense right now lol..) and then at the end of the weight lifting i do a 15 min. High intensity on the treadmill, after that i'm shot... (Actually i do chest on Free weights... My arms feel like jello.)

Help:

I would just like to know if i'm doing the right thing, and if i'm going about this the right way, please any constructive criticism, advice, any one can give, i'll take w/ arms wide open.. Because i really don't know... I need to get this weight off. So hit me w/ anything.. Thank you board!!
Thechange08

Postby firedepot » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:18 am

If I were you, I would cut out those bicep, tricep and ab exercises. If you do basic push and pull movements like bench press/ push up, squat, and pullups, those incorporate all of those other exercises you are currently doing. Also, you may be overtraining. Give your body a chance to recover between workouts. A 30 minute warmup is pretty long, too.

I suggest you give Simplefit a shot. You'll be amazed at the results of bodyweight exercises compared to what you are currently doing.

You can always come here for advice.
firedepot
Advanced Member

Postby Thechange08 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:15 am

Thank you very much for the info, my next question is... Is that a reasonable goal to reach. Or not.
Thechange08

Postby volleyball_man » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:27 am

Do you mean - get to 185ish by June?

I think you can. Be careful about giving weight loss all of the power over your process. Consider adding some other, non-weight, non-appearance goals to your list. A good idea might be to get the movements down first (pull ups or body rows, pushups, squats) and set goals like "3 more reps in two weeks" or "full range of motion push ups." These will a) come faster and b) never have a finish line (i. e. you can only drop so much weight, but you can always add a rep). Let the weight loss be a long term side-effect.

I don't mean that your weight is not to be considered at all. You should feel good about the changes in your body - including appearance! Also, I gained weight and lost inches so take all into consideration when you step on the scale.
volleyball_man

Postby Thechange08 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:35 am

Yep that's my goal, thanks for the advice bud it's greatly appreciated. And now that i think about it that does make sense... Doing this makes you stay away from the scale, and focus about to one more and one more... And i don't know about anyone else, but i'm a competitive person and very, very sore loser... lol... and me not being able to do something just makes me want to push harder... Thanks for the info... oh by the way... How much running or elliptical work should i be doing
Thechange08

Postby firedepot » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:58 am

My advice is to work at 70 to 85 % of your max heart rate for at least 15 minutes. Of course, you should check with a physician before attempting this. The key here is maximum intensity in a minimum amount of time. Most gym rats/trainers think you need to be in the gym for longer than 20-30 minutes, but I believe that is not true, as do many others.
firedepot
Advanced Member

Postby volleyball_man » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:26 am

I agree with FD on the length of time for the workout.

I don't do "cardio" at all. I do interval training. I am currently ramping up to do crossfit (scaled!) workouts. You are in the right spot. My advice about what to do for a workout - and this is based on your weight/height ratio and the questions you have - stick to just simplefit without adding anything for a while. Build up the furnace. Compete with your achievements. Aim high - shoot low. You've got the rest of your life to go through this so don't rush it. Your body will tell you when to up the ante and pull back. Be patient and start at - THE BEGINNING!! (just a hint of Lewis Carrol).

Don't try to pay off the debt in one workout.

:D Have fun! and did I say welcome? Welcome!
volleyball_man

Postby splint » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:46 am

It looks like I'll only be repeating what others have already said. Skip all the small muscle isolation workouts like triceps and biceps. I haven't done a curl or tricep extension since June and my arms are bigger than ever. I do incorporate weight training though, mainly because I enjoy it again. But I only do compound, full body lifts like the bench press, overhead press, deadlift, squat, barbell row and cleans. That's really all you need to do to build muscle all over.

As for cardio, I don't do any traditional cardio except for a long run (10k)on occasion simply because I feel like it. For the cardio portion, I'll do things like sprint intervals on the treadmill (1 minute sprint, 2 minute jog) for about 6 to 8 rounds a couple times a week. Or I'll see how fast I can do 100 Burpees (12:22 in case your wondering, working to get sub 10). Or I'll do the Dumbbell Bear. These things are short in duration (10-20 minutes) but since you're performing at such a high intensity, it really taxes your endurance.
splint

Postby Thechange08 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:17 pm

Splint, FD, Volleyball man, thanks for all the info.. i'm hitting the gym, and i'm gonna try the L1D1 workouts, i'll post my results... i'll let you know if i'm able to do the pull up (lol).. But thanks for all the advice, and i'll keep you guys posted... Hope to achieve my goals and i hope you guys achieve all of yours... Splint you look great btw.. Great improvement in 4 months.. I'll post a before and after pic from now until June...

~~~~Simply Put... Simple~~~~
Thechange08

Postby Admin » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:11 pm

Take a picture now to compare to when you are ripped in 6 months. Also be sure to do slow and steady to start don't over due and burn out or get injured easy does it.

Cheers
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Thechange08 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:00 pm

Now i'm sore as a (fill in the blank)... and I'm just now getting back into the whole fitness thing... I played football and i wrestled in H.S. and i was consistently 218-220 because i still ate what ever i wanted... But i'm 21 now out of H.S. for 3 years... If i'm feeling like this do you think i'm burning my self out... or define one burning themselves out.. Thank you..

~~~Simply Put... Simple~~~[/u]
Thechange08

Postby Admin » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:51 pm

Just do this program 3 days a week no more no less eat healthy get good sleep and you will get there.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby splint » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:34 am

I want to repeat that I do other exercies now but when I started Simplefit, that's all I did, 3 times a week for the first month and a half. I wanted to give all my focus to Simplefit. AFter 5-6 weeks, I could tell my body was ready for more work so I started adding more exercises, dips, tabata squats, and other calisthenics. I didn't get to the gym for weight training for several weeks after that even.

I also watched my diet as well.

You definitely don't want to overdo it. IF you feel like you need to do something on the off-days, maybe you can do some stretching or go for a long walk. Something active yet allowing your muscles to recover.

Give yourself a month doing the bare minimum, the Simplefit program. You'll feel when it's time to add more.
splint

Postby Thechange08 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:41 pm

lol, yea i'm cutting out weight training completely... I go to the gym for a a couple of reasons... 1 they have a chin-up bar that has weight to help you go out.. so it's almost like having that band to help you do a chin-up at home, so there's no resistance, it's actually assistance... (lol) and my goal is to be able to work down to less, and less weight, until i no longer need assistance.. (is that a good way to go or no)? Because i do about 5 assisted chins at 70pds assistance. I don't know what that would b equivalent too. I can't the body row, because i go to planet fitness, and they are anal about a lot of stuff... Great gym.. but a lot of rules. So i'll ask about body rows.. but ummm.. The other reason i go to the gym is for the pure fact that i'll actually stay w/ it... Cuz i'm not gonna lie... i was very, very lazy... And i feel if i'm at home... I will get to comfortable... and in my head if i waste gas to go the gym which is 12-15 min away from my house... I better as hell compensate my self for it lol... Plus i'm only paying 20 a month and the gym is open 24hrs. Monday thru Thursday.... OOOOOO and my next questions... is it good to eat after you work out... And i hate, Hate eating breakfast in the morning, and at first i was just skipping meals and eating dinnner (Helmet move) I switched to slim fast and like small turkey sandwiches on whole wheat bread... and i just drink a slim fast in the morning...
Thechange08

Postby volleyball_man » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:00 pm

You might check on intermittent fasting - links abound. I for one am a BIG breakfast eater. I eat often all day. I do not do any calorie cutting at all. I am 6'4 240, it takes food to keep me going. Stay away from quick fixes (Slim Fast)!!!
volleyball_man

Return to Fitness Goals