Simplefit.org • View topic - muscle diagrams

muscle diagrams

body weight exercise community

Moderator: cheapo

muscle diagrams

Postby gwmccull » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:47 pm

I recently became curious as to exactly what muscles I'm exercising when I'm doing a Simplefit workout. I remember seeing illustrations from weight lifting books of a person doing, for example, a bench press with all of the working muscles on the body shaded. Does anyone know of a resource (perferably free online) that would show in illustrated form the muscles targeted by body weight squats, pushups and pull-ups/chin-ups?

I've seen things that list the muscles but I really perfer to see things in a picture.

Thanks.
gwmccull

Postby volleyball_man » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:07 am

volleyball_man

Postby gwmccull » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:06 pm

Thanks for the link VBM but I couldn't find any info on pushups or pullups. I know they differ from bench press and lat pull downs but does anyone know exactly how?

Also, are body weight squats and weighted squats functionally the same? It would seem that weighted squats would require greater recruitment of the stabilization muscles.

Sorry to be nitpicky but I saw the bullet-point listings of muscles that each exercise works but I didn't see any illustrations of the muscles as they do a particular exercise (a pushup for example). Any idea who might have illustrations of the muscles in "action."

Thanks again for the help.
gwmccull

Postby splint » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:29 am

Did you click on the muscles worked because it shows the illustrations if you click on the name of the muscle. Or don't you want each individual muscle but one photo that shows all the muscles worked. If so, then yeah, I'd agree that you're being nitpicky.

Barbell Bench Press versus Push-up

Lots more stabilzers in the pull-ups.

Pull-Down versus Pull-up

notice that you have actually more synergistic muscles with the pull-down. What this means is that you use more muscles to help the movement. This isn't really good because using more muscles to do a movement means all muscles are worked less strenously. That's why pull-ups are harder than pull-downs.

Also, are body weight squats and weighted squats functionally the same? It would seem that weighted squats would require greater recruitment of the stabilization muscles.

There are a wide variety of squat types that will target all sorts of different muscles. Sure, squatting with a weight on your back is going to work different muscles than a bodyweight squat, as will squatting with the bar on your upper chest, as will squatting with the bar overhead, as will doing sumo squats. The problem with weighted squats is that in order to do them safely, you need a bar, weights, a power rack.
splint

Postby gwmccull » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:50 pm

splint wrote:Or don't you want each individual muscle but one photo that shows all the muscles worked. If so, then yeah, I'd agree that you're being nitpicky.

Darn it, I knew I was being nitpicky :)

Thanks for the info.
gwmccull

Return to fitness community