Simplefit.org • View topic - Advice for newbie - elbow/tendon pain at L1

Advice for newbie - elbow/tendon pain at L1

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Advice for newbie - elbow/tendon pain at L1

Postby ted » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:17 am

Kevin gave me great info via email for this symptom but asked that I continue this in the forum so others can benefit and also so I can benefit from and contribute to this community.

My problem - I started getting elbow and tendon pain the day after D1. I ignored it and did a partial D2. This morning the soreness was still there so I just did cheater pull-ups one at a time for my D3 workout. My elbow and tendons are a little sore and I don't have full range of motion at either extreme. I don't think I have full blown tendinitis yet (hopefully). Kevin recommended ice and rest and to substitute body rows. He said be careful not to get full blown tendinitis or I'll be out at least 6 weeks.

My stats:
Male
Age 48
Approx 226lbs.

Goal is to get to about 195lbs and advance through the levels to become functionally fit.

This program is amazing. I have been looking for so long for something that is so simple and well defined and something that a pathetically out of shape person can start at.

I just started L1 this week. Finished L1D3 this morning in 9:04. Did 21 reps D1, screwed up the routine on D2 so no accurate record ( messed up the D2 log, anyone know how I can edit it?).

Any thoughts? I really want to keep the momentum going. Do I stop doing pull-ups and push-ups for a while? Just do some easy body rows? How do I record my progress to keep me motivated? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Hard to believe I am getting my butt kicked on L1 but I will persevere!!

Thanks!
ted

Re: Advice for newbie - elbow/tendon pain at L1

Postby cheapo » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:55 am

ted wrote:messed up the D2 log, anyone know how I can edit it?

1. On the log page, click the green button that says "display the complete log"
2. Click the red "x" next to the offending entry.
cheapo

Postby splint » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:30 pm

How to do Pull-ups Properly, from Stronglifts.com

Heading VBM off at the pass on this one and I'll say these nerve glide exercises really took care of my elbow pain. I do them whenever I have time, waiting in line, waiting for the wife to get ready, etc.

Have you tried using different grips on the bar?

Also from stronglifts, shoulder dislocations, these helped with elbow/shoulder pain for me as well.
splint

Postby ted » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:00 pm

cheapo- thanks for showing me how to edit the log. Didn't realize it was so easy!!

splint - thanks for the pull-up info. Also, I started doing the shoulder dislocations based on something I saw on another post here. Regarding the nerve glides, I will start doing them. Do you know if there is a site that illustrates the median and radial glides? The link you gave me illustrates the ulnar glide but the other two are just descriptions. I think I understand the other ones I just want to make sure I am doing it right.

Thanks for the great info and I hope I can repay the favors as I start my journey back to getting fit.
ted

Postby splint » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:53 pm

Eh, I dunno, you'll have to wait for volleyballman to make an appearance, I stole those nerve glide ideas from him.

I will say that they make more sense the more you practice them and often you'll feel the "Tension" they're talking about once you have it right. It's not like a muscle stretch, it's a tension that seems more, well. delicate.
splint

Postby volleyball_man » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:32 pm

Thanks for the nod splint

Go to my blog, there's a link called Nerve Glides on the right.

http://shoalsfit.blogspot.com
volleyball_man

Postby volleyball_man » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:38 pm

It's the same link!

There are three - one for each path.
volleyball_man

Postby Admin » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:39 pm

Thanks Splint and VBM for all your great contributions to this community.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby volleyball_man » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:40 pm

I think I can speak for both of us - it's given a lot to us Kevin.

Peace!
volleyball_man

Postby ted » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:33 am

Slowly but surely I think my elbow is recovering. However, it set me back in that I once again lost momentum on a fitness program. I tried a few other things over the past few weeks to make me feel like I was working out but I lacked real focus.

I finally sat down last night and wrote up a quick and easy workout based on what I have learned from this site and some isometric stuff I learned earlier. I did the routine this morning and I think it should work well until my elbow is ready for a true L1 workout. Here it is:

1 set (low reps)of the following and keep repeating for 2o minutes. I will keep track of the number of sets each day to keep me focused:

1. -Isometric exercise (from John Peterson's book)
2. - Ab crunches from an ab sling
3. - Body rows using a towel
4. - Squats
5. - Modified plank hold. I come off just a bit from the ready position of a push-up and hold. I also do an iso contraction during that time.

I did this routine this morning and it felt pretty good. The body rows with towel are actually better than I thought in that they strengthen my grip and forearms.

One word of advice I will pass on to newbies who are older. If you start having ANY type of shoulder or elbow pain scale back quickly and work from there. I was given this advice but didn't listen because I didn't actually think I would have any side effects other than some sore muscles. When I was younger I never really had any joint pain and I would usually feel fine in a few days. Now I am sidelined for several weeks and it is driving me crazy.

Thanks again to everyone on this forum who gave me great advice.
ted

Return to fitness training