I just started doing this last week. So good! A few things I would add:
1. Some people soak the almonds overnight. I haven’t tried not soaking yet, so I’m not sure how much difference it makes.
2. I’ve tried removing the skin and leaving it on. Didn’t seem to make much difference.
3. A cup of almonds and 2-3 cups water is a good ratio if making smaller batches. 2:1 is super good, but 3:1 lasts longer and is still very tasty.
4. 3 dates per cup of almonds makes a great sweetener. That said, it’s still delicious without.
5. I used a flour sack cloth to do the straining and didn’t really need a second straining. I tried pushing some through my Aero press with a filter and it was SUPER clean and really good, but ultimately too hard to push.
6. The leftover pulp can be put on a cookie sheet and baked at 175degF until dry, then ground up into almond meal. Works pretty well in place of flour in cookies, etc.