More on pullups – how wide?

Forums Fitness training More on pullups – how wide?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    volleyball_man
    Participant

So – I have a wingspan of 7ft or so (I remind you – middle hitter/blocker).

Anyone have a good rule-of-thumb for proper width to place your hands?

My door gym is great BUT – I have to use the close grip or my elbows hit the door frame.

I am designing a pullup bar on a gate-type system to help me use a wider grip. I can’t imagine anything but that it will be far more comfortable.

I even anticipate a change in my pullup numbers (possibly even lower) due to change in muscles used.

Musky
    Participant

The numbers are likely to lower, as the range of motion of the biceps is reduced so the laterals become the main mover. This however will give you a strong back and nice wide lats

volleyball_man
    Participant

Thanks for the reply!

I hope to see that be the case.

I’ll let you know.

goodluckfox
    Participant

Thanks for askign this, VBM. I’ve been wondering the exact same thing… I’ve got what feels like a very narrow door, and it’s hard to do pullups comfortably… I mean, they’re hard enough (nigh unto impossible) as it is without bumping my elboews against the frame. My hands wind up being just a bit more than shoulder width apart. I feel like if I could just get my hands farther apart, I could get more oomph on it.

volleyball_man
    Participant

Yep!

My hands are less than shoulder width…

dgkimpton
    Participant

goodluckfox wrote:

Thanks for askign this, VBM. I’ve been wondering the exact same thing… I’ve got what feels like a very narrow door, and it’s hard to do pullups comfortably… I mean, they’re hard enough (nigh unto impossible) as it is without bumping my elboews against the frame. My hands wind up being just a bit more than shoulder width apart. I feel like if I could just get my hands farther apart, I could get more oomph on it.

Funny, I find them easier with my hands closer together…

volleyball_man
    Participant

Of course – the real difference for me will be that I won’t have to tuck my body to keep from bottoming out. A little kipping is in order! :D

aussiechick
    Participant

I can see why you guys would be having trouble with the door gym. I’m only fairly small framed and I like to have my hands on the outside edges of my pull up bar, a couple of handwidths wider than my shoulders feels kindest on my wrists.

volleyball_man
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong – I appreciate my door gym. I have gotten pretty far pretty fast. I will be glad to have it for inclement weather and travel.

Hopefully this weekend, I’ll finally get around to constructing my outdoor pullup bar. I think I have a pretty cool solution. The real challenge is to get it high enough and keep it stable. I’ll definitely post pics once I finish it. I do think that the width will be an enormous plus for me. I am sure I’ll feel more comfortable than I presently do.

The quest for the perfect pullup continues…

imported_Admin
    Participant

Listen to your shoulders if you go super wide as this can be hard on the rotator cuff ‘s of some people.

volleyball_man
    Participant

Will do!

chachee
    Participant

I’ve found that for different widths I can hit different muscle groups. Also if I do a palms in or out grip I need different widths.

Depends on what you want to hit in the end, I would imagine.

JT

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.