Outfitting my Home Gym?

Forums Fitness training Outfitting my Home Gym?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    firedepot
    Participant

Ok, guys, I have pretty much come to the realization that I can do most, if not all, of any workout that I choose to do at home instead of a gym.

The Door Gym is scheduled to arrive this week, and I already have the outdoor pull-up station in the works. I live in a quiet neighborhood that is basically a D-shaped grid, which is great for walking/running.

If I chose to add equipment, what would you recommend?

Please keep in mind that I want to keep this low-budget.

agoodlysize
    Participant

I’d recommend an ab wheel and some kettle bells, and maybe a sandbag. I bought some resistance bands to help me with pullups and Evil Wheel training, but for a home gym, I think the kettle bells would be where its at.

tkbslc
    Participant

I really want to build a little home gym when I get some more space/money. If I were building one I’d have:

Minimum:

Pull up bar

Dip Station

Olympic weight set with 2-300lbs of weight

Adjustable Dumbell set

Belt to hang weights from for dips/pullups

Additional like to have:

Treadmill (We have really cold winters here)

Rower

Rubber flooring

Power rack or Squat rack

Bench

Something to organize weight plates

TV/Stereo

splint
    Participant

Here’s what I have:

Heavy Bag

Pull-up bar

16kg Kettlebell

80 pound sand bag

12 pound medicine ball

Jump Rope

Here’s what I want to add eventually:

Rings

Weight Vest

Flooring

I think I’d be content with that stuff. But I’m biased because I have a gym at work that is quite good and that is free so I don’t need much else at home.

imported_Admin
    Participant

If I had the room I would make a campus board!

http://www.cbass.com/IMAGES/Jurgen_Campus.gif

riot
    Participant

Admin wrote:

If I had the room I would make a campus board!

http://www.cbass.com/IMAGES/Jurgen_Campus.gif

That’s cool. Get me one of those, too, while you’re at it.

firedepot
    Participant

Finally decided on the Bowflex Series 7 Treadmill, and ordered it today. I ordered it from the company, and they gave me free shipping. From the reviews online, I felt like it was a good buy. I’ll post a review once I get a chance to try it out.

rob
    Participant

splint wrote:

Here’s what I have:

Heavy Bag

Pull-up bar

16kg Kettlebell

80 pound sand bag

12 pound medicine ball

Jump Rope

Here’s what I want to add eventually:

Rings

Weight Vest

Flooring

I think I’d be content with that stuff. But I’m biased because I have a gym at work that is quite good and that is free so I don’t need much else at home.

what the 80#sand bag for. a heavy punching bag?

rob
    Participant

i have at my disposal

pull up bar

adjustable dumbells

bar bell-currently hanging from rafters

incline decline bench

incline decline bench with leg ext and curl. got this at goodwill for $7.00

tread mill

jumprope

would like to add

padded floor

more dumbells

bike trainer

heater

tv and stereo

i also need to clean the garage reaallllllly bad. right now i have just enough room to do my SF routine the rest is in the house tucked in a corner

splint
    Participant

rob wrote:

what the 80#sand bag for. a heavy punching bag?

Sand bag drills

Matthew.percussion
    Participant

For the cheapest and most useful:

Pull-up Bar

Paraletes

Still Rings

You can build the Parallettes for a small price

Parallette Guide

I made a Pull-up bar, not the best but its functional and I have a few Ideas to make it better. I’m going to get a picture on my blog and I will probably put up some instructions.

Tofu Gymnast

The rings have the most uses. Also the most expensive part of my gym. They make every exercise harder, but you have more flexibility with them. The push ups at normal height are much more difficult, I can do 38 normal push ups but on the rings, i could only do 3. Ring flys are great for shoulders, you can do dips, pull ups, bodyweight rows. Possibilities are endless… Search Google and you can find tons of exercises and different rings. I suggest:

Xtreme Rings

If you have more money and want more I suggest:

Kettle Bells

Resistance bands

Interlocking Rubber Tiles

Stereo

Good Luck

splint
    Participant

Matthew.percussion wrote:

The rings have the most uses. Also the most expensive part of my gym. They make every exercise harder, but you have more flexibility with them. The push ups at normal height are much more difficult, I can do 38 normal push ups but on the rings, i could only do 3. Ring flys are great for shoulders, you can do dips, pull ups, bodyweight rows. Possibilities are endless… Search Google and you can find tons of exercises and different rings. I suggest:

Xtreme Rings

As an alternative, I made my rings out of $4 worth of 1″ PVC pipe. Heat then up and bend them around a paint can and glue them together. So if you’re not sure if you’d use rings, you can always make a pair to try them out. There’s a thread somewhere here where I posted photos and instructions.

Matthew.percussion
    Participant

Yeah, Thats a much cheaper alternative. I had been considering doing something like that but couldn’t access the things needed. When I found the Xtreme rings for only $50 I snatched up the opportunity though because the next lowest price I had ever seen was like $80.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.