Should I alternate between chin ups and pull ups?

Forums Fitness training Should I alternate between chin ups and pull ups?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    linuxguy0481
    Participant

Like the subject says. I was wondering if I should alternative between the two and how should I alternate? Should I do pull ups one day and another day chin ups? Thank you.

Linuxguy

scumdogg
    Participant

There’s no reason not to alternate between pullups and chins, but I wouldn’t switch them up on alternating days, especially if you’re a beginner, instead, I’d alternate weekly or biweekly. You have to not only train your muscles but also the neuropathways so that you get maximal muscle recruitment, as in this article, http://skinnybulkup.com/neural-adaptations-during-strength-training/ . The basic gist is, to get good at an exercise and get the most benefit, you have to do it often and get used to the motion. I know I’m going to read this post later and wonder what the hell I was talking about :D

linuxguy0481
    Participant

Thank you once again Scumdogg. you last sentence made me lol.

GaTo
    Participant

scumdogg wrote:

There’s no reason not to alternate between pullups and chins, but I wouldn’t switch them up on alternating days, especially if you’re a beginner, instead, I’d alternate weekly or biweekly. You have to not only train your muscles but also the neuropathways so that you get maximal muscle recruitment, as in this article, http://skinnybulkup.com/neural-adaptations-during-strength-training/ . The basic gist is, to get good at an exercise and get the most benefit, you have to do it often and get used to the motion. I know I’m going to read this post later and wonder what the hell I was talking about :D

What are your thoughts regarding alternating during each workout? For example if it calls for 10 pull ups, is it ok for me to do 5 chins and then 5 pull ups? Or am I better of keeping the same grip?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.