to weak!

Forums Fitness training to weak!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    nurke
    Participant

Having just beeing cleared by my doc after 2 years of severe disease i am to weak to do even the girlie kind push-up and can not hang from the pull-up bar! 😯

And my dream is to do pull-ups and push-ups. And as they say, you get good at what you do, but where do i begin? Any tips would be helpful.. :D

scumdogg
    Participant

For the pushups why not start with wall pushups? Stand a couple feet back from the wall (make sure your feet won’t slip), place your hands on the wall, let yourself fall slowly towards the wall and then push back. If that’s too easy then you can try an incline push up. Put your feet on the floor and your hands on a sturdy chair or couch instead of on the ground and start pushing up.

As substitution for the pullups you could wrap a towel or rope around a pole or pillar a little lower than shoulder height, grab each end and place your feet at the base of the pole. Then let yourself slowly back until your arms are straight, then pull yourself towards the pole using your lats (picture trying to elbow someone who’s standing behind you to get an idea of the motion). A fringe benefit of using a towel is that you really develop your grip as well, which will really help when you move to pullups. You can adjust the difficulty by how high you wrap the towel around the pole: higher is easier, lower is harder (I did this before graduating to pullups). Once that’s too easy you could do inverted pullups or some other kind of row until you’re strong enough to tackle true pullups.

Don’t give up, progress will seem slow at first, but once you’ve been at it for a couple weeks you’ll start noticing changes. Let us know how you make out.

Good luck!

nurke
    Participant

Thanks for the input!

will tell how this goes, Is it a reasonable goal to think that by 23rd of june 2010 i can do both normal push-ups and pullups if i am dedicated to my training?

volleyball_man
    Participant

Hey – welcome.

What is a more healthy and reasonable goal is that you improve from where you are – and you will. The pull-up can come quickly or take a long time. This depends on how much you put in and where exactly you are beginning.

My advice: don’t attach (too heavily anyway) a time frame for long term goals, but instead note progress after it happens.

scumdogg
    Participant

Totally agree with VBM. It’s good to have a long term goals but breaking them up into short term goals prevents you from getting discouraged. If one week you can do 10 rounds of L1 then push for 12 the next time. If you do this every week you can’t help but progress towards your final goal. Also, don’t forget your diet and adequate rest between workouts.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.