April 21, 2007 at 3:51 am #105168
Just beginning with Crossfit, found it a few days ago from a looping and varied path starting on my Facebook and ending at Crossfit.com. I was intrigued but pre-occupied (3 exams, 3 days, lots of studying and sleep) but I finally had a chance to start out on some Simplefit today. Vitals:
BF %: 18.9% according to my Tanita BF-680W scale, though that was 20 minutes after the workout, I’ll check again tomorrow midday or before bed.
Wingspan: 6′ 7 1/8″ (middle fingertip to middle fingertip)
Fr, April 20, 2007 – Day 1, Stage 1: 43 sets in 20 minutes.
– Pullups were “cheaters”, using a bit of leg to get up, still not that strong in addition to a sore shoulder from throwing for 2 hours today.
– My goal was 1 set every 30 seconds, so I’m glad I managed to (just) surpass that.April 21, 2007 at 4:13 am #108699
Welcome!April 23, 2007 at 10:35 pm #108700 Mon, April 23, 2007 – Day 2, Stage 1: 5m 14s
– Pullups were with my legs supported a bit off a bar at the back of the cage I was pulling off. Definately much better workout than the “mini-jumps” that I did last time.
– Legs are killing me. Couldn’t walk up the 10 flights of stairs I normally do for cooldown after workouts.
– This was delayed because of a nasty final exam that I had to prep for (wrote it this morning, think I did well)April 23, 2007 at 11:52 pm #108701
Keep at it, the soreness will diminish as you adjust.April 25, 2007 at 5:11 am #108702 No workout today, seeing as it’s an off day and my quads are still roasted from yesterday, but I did spend 3 hours playing dodgeball for some cardio. And before you laugh, run a YouTube search on “Kelsey Schaffer” and look at some of the videos. Not your average elementary school game anymore If you watch the “Game 5 Part 1” video, at about 15s in you can see me on the top right of the screen – big guy with black and white knee-high socks under the basketball netApril 25, 2007 at 5:57 am #108703 dodgeball! That is coolApril 26, 2007 at 2:37 am #108704 Wed, April 25, 2007 – Day 3, Stage 1: 4m 34s
– Obviously moving up to the next stage on Friday.
– Re-read the “substitution” page for Pullups, missed the 3xsub = 1xpullup. So factored that into the workout today. Did the legs up on bar for 30 reps. Had no problem reaching 15, started slowing after that. Glad I read the page.
– My basic plan is to stay on this through about 3-4 weeks of 1 on, 1 off days and then “graduate” to CrossFit or the BrandX modified workouts. That would be of course predicated by how well I’m finishing the exercises and also if I can figure out a decent way to get in to the gym and do all the runs/lifts. My gym at home probably wouldn’t like me running out on the road then coming in to lift then back and forth. We’ll see though.April 26, 2007 at 3:48 am #108705
Sounds good, let us know how you progress.April 26, 2007 at 7:17 pm #108706jcarroll11Participant Hey Bob,
One thing I was reading at crossfit was that if you can do 20 rounds of Cindy, you should be good to go. If you look at l8d1, well that is Cindy
That is the goal i am making for myself, just follow this plan for the next 8-10 weeks before i move on. On rest days, i am going to do some xfit type workouts without the weights, such as box jumps, push presses with bands, etc. This way i can get the intesity of doing other routines without overdoing it.
just my .02May 2, 2007 at 6:17 am #108707
Tue, May 1, 2007 – Stage 2, Day 1: 23 sets
– As you can see, there was a little break between S1D3 – I moved back home on Saturday so Friday was packing and goodbyes and last minute things. Sunday I spent time searching around my property for some semblance of a pullup bar. Closest thing I found was the edge of my sundeck, but seeing as I can’t do an unnassisted pull-up, that didn’t work. I at least got into the batting cages for 125 pitches, felt good. Yesterday and today my dad and I started cleaning out the shed and making braces for me to do pullups on. Finally got it set up and done today.
– Pullups are assisted – bar is about 9″ off the ground (so I can hang freely) and used a lawnchair to give the boost.
– Did triple-reps of pullups for every prescribed regular rep. Trying to resist as much as I can on the down movement and assist as much as possible on the up.
– Absolutely exhausted already from my softball game tonight – only 8 guys showed up so I split the 2-man outfield: lots of running. At least my bat made up for it – hit for the cycle with an extra single too. 4 RBIs
– Thanks jcarroll11; I’ll aim for that I guess.May 6, 2007 at 3:03 am #108708
Sat, May 5, 2007 – Stage 2, Day 2: 9m, 23s
– Had to wait a little to avoid furthur injury to my wrist – sprained it at work over the last 2 days. Doing too much digging into rocks and just jarring the wrist a lot.
– Definately going to repeat this stage next week for sure.May 8, 2007 at 12:43 am #108709
Sun, May 7, 2007 – Stage 2, Day 3: 7m 17s
– Drove my truck up to give me leg support so I could do the assisted pullups; wound up realising that my body eventually turns into a board with me doing essentially inverted rows. Going to have to work on something to better keep my torso upright throughout the pull.
– Also did 2 hours of soccer practice last night, absolutely wiped afterwards – been so long since I’ve played a full-field sport. Hopefully the SimpleFit and the hours of running during practice will help for gametime. Noticed my legs were jello for a while during drills where I was shadowing teammates – they’re all smaller with lower centers of gravity and less wind resistance (windy night)! It’s not fair!
– Add in that I’m doing labouring/grunt-work for a landscaping crew and I’m thinking this summer might turn out to be one of the best ones I’ve had yet for cutting back the excess and getting in top shape for the start of school.May 8, 2007 at 2:03 am #108710
I think inverted rows are fine maybe even better actually because you will get more back into itMay 12, 2007 at 4:01 am #108711 Forgot to post this yesterday:
Thu, May 10, 2007 – Stage 2, Day 1: 26 sets
– Improvement is deceptive – I didn’t remember to do triple sets of pullups until the 11th set. Though I did have to run off for about 1.5 minutes during it to grab my water jug. So maybe it’s about a 1 set improvement.
– Did finally manage some unassisted kips. Also had very, very good, slow control on the downward portion of the pullups that I did without leg support. I mixed up between leg support and jumps off my van’s bumper for the assist.
– Also had 1h45 of soccer tonight. I officially had old incompetant referees. I used to ref myself and knew to look at the severity of the incidents, not just the results – ie if someone runs into me (230lbs) and loses their balance, don’t call it a penalty! I got yellow carded tonight for taking a knee in the hip and getting a sick charlie horse. First whistle called on me all night too. Absolutely ridiculous after I watched (and counted) the ref whistle down an opponent 6 times without a single card. Guy was 50lbs lighter, that’s why. Stupid. Frustrating.May 14, 2007 at 3:46 am #108712
Sun, May 13, 2007 – Stage 2, Day 2: 15m06
– I included my 4x2m rest intervals in there. So the workout itself took about 7m.
– On the sets of 3 pullups, I managed to get 1 unnassited pullup (and a hold at the top!) and then would do 6 assisted pullups from there. I can see full sets of unassisted pullups in the future. Still have to really figure out kips though – they’re really jerky and uncoordinated for me right now.
– Had 4 mens softball games this weekend – played short and third (with a few innings at second) all weekend, so I was running/moving on every pitch. Threw a bazillion balls too – most from 3rd, longest throw in the infield (only had 1 runner wind up safe, on a questionable call though… prolly put out 20-25 players over the 4 games, so my arm is tired and sore)
– Got a good reason now to really focus on losing the weight and packing on the muscle: girls
Well, just one, but looking good without a shirt on is always a plus. Plus I noticed during the pullups today that I’m starting to really develop the top-heavy triangle, so I’m a little stoked on that development. Can’t wait to keep it going.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.